Removing powerjet

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
jaffa1
Main scooter: series 1 framebreather

Hi all, can anyone tell me the correct method of removing or blanking off the powerjet on a MK2 Amal? The reason for this is I have been told that they make the mixture lean at high revs on reedvalve motors.Is this correct?
sorry if this has been asked before, i have looked in FAQ's but no sign.

Cheers
Jaffa
rosscla
Main scooter: Lambretta

After a good search on google I found this which has instructions to fit one, so it might help in disabling it

http://www.crapulatos.fr/images/amal_do ... werjet.pdf
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better."
wack 63
Main scooter: '71 GP TS1

There used to be a blanking screw available that replaced the jet ,although any screw with the same thread should do but the head may be too large. It's strange that powerjets are not advised on reed motors yet most bikes use them :?
rosscla

Stuff I read suggested it was possibly down to the degree of downdraft that they fitted onto the early manifolds. This meant that it was possible, that with low levels of fuel in the float chamber, to draw air through the power jet feed hole leading to lean running at high throttle positions /revs.

I'm fairly sure if the carb was close to vertical this wouldn't be an issue.
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better."
jaffa1
Main scooter: series 1 framebreather

mmm, the carb will be used on an external reed(i.e. non TS1) manifold which places it close to vertical. Maybe i wont need to remove it after all.It would be useful to hear other peoples experiences with these set ups. Anyone care to elaborate?
rosscla

Forgot you could use a blanking screw..at least that's reversible unlike some of the other ways of blocking the holes with dowels or cut off screws that I've seen.

You can get the blanking screw from -

http://www.amalcarb.co.uk/AmalExplodedI ... pares=true
Muppet
Main scooter: SX 150 running in

AF has the blanking screws in stock,

Muppet,
C’est la vie
TED CRUD

or do what i did take the power jet out and fill the hole with solder
Smash Ya Pastie
Washington Posse s.c
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrBpNEjkuLY
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information