6 plate clutch

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Dell Oughta

Afternoon all
Can anyone recommend a 6 plate clutch setup

I currently have:
Indian GP200 gear box
lightened / deep 47 crown wheel
18 front sprocket
82 chain
longer type clutch spider (scootrs)

I have been using sureflex 5 plate setups, but my bike is wearing them out, I've also tried a carbon 4 plate, put this too is slipping. The bike is TS1 kitted, ADS5 pipe (clutch usually starts slipping if I open the throttle and give it some welly, I can get it up there if I open the throttle slowly, but after my travels yesterday I know it's on its last legs).

I'd like to use as much of the existing kit I have, does anyone know of any reasonably priced additions/ modifications to make what I have a 6 plate?

If push comes to shove, I've been toying with the idea of one of the those new AF cassette ones (they only do a 46 tooth at present) and changing the front cog to a 19, does anyone know if a ADS5 pipe can use this gearing, can any one suggest the correct front cog using 46 rear?

Cheers
Mike
jonashford
Main scooter: Lambretta SX RB235

Af cassette clutch, £400 or £200 both very good. Put it in and forget about it
mark

I have now purchased a 5 plate rocho68 clutch to put in my avanti, the 6 plate version runs so well in my dac I don't think the 5 plate will have any trouble with a measly 26bhp. I can't recommend this clutch enough
Jazzy

mark wrote:I have now purchased a 5 plate rocho68 clutch to put in my avanti, the 6 plate version runs so well in my dac I don't think the 5 plate will have any trouble with a measly 26bhp. I can't recommend this clutch enough
Prices on the above please.
My 5 plate is slipping and I'm looking to go to the next step.

Are these available in 46 and 47.
mark

Contact rocho68 on here as he makes them along with a lot of other bits you might need. Just remember to run them on 30/10 light gear oil as that's what the donor bike (aprillia rs125)runs. Do a search on here for my reactions to the 6 plate conversion and all will become clear
Dell Oughta

mark wrote:Contact rocho68 on here as he makes them along with a lot of other bits you might need. Just remember to run them on 30/10 light gear oil as that's what the donor bike (aprillia rs125)runs. Do a search on here for my reactions to the 6 plate conversion and all will become clear

rocho68 you have pm
RBG

rocho68 here also, great bit of kit.
mick1
Main scooter: Li Avanti 225

RBG wrote:rocho68 here also, great bit of kit.

...............and here. it's on my Avanti and after 300+ miles there's been no problems and it is very smooth. Plus i have used one of his Chain down push tensioners....nice but a bit of a fiddle to fit.
Diablo
Dealer

Ok 5 plate clutches.
They work its just that few people set them up properly and give the springs too much work to do.
Before you go shelling out on a 6 plate clutch you probably don't need, check the clearance between the top plate and the first cork with the clutch fully compressed with your clutch compressor.

You want no more than 1.5mm free play here. Anymore and the springs have to extend too far before they start to put pressure on the plates.

You may well find you have anything up to 4mm of play which is a lot to take up. You can do some of this by using only thick clutch steels and also a thicker top plate. If this doesn't get you closer to the required gap you can mix your green surflex plates with surflex b corks which are thicker. I've used 2 of the "b" corks and 3 green ones to get it right.

The AF uprated springs are good and very cheap although not as good as the ones they had in the surflex cassette clutch.

With regards light gear oil next time you build your gearbox ask your self what stops the cogs rubbing together? Use at your peril.
mark

A Gearbox is made of gears and rockoil light gear oil is designed to lubricate gears and also aprillia use it in their gearbox and clutch which these clutch plates (rocho clutch) are designed to run in. I had my gearbox out a couple of months agO and all was fine in there with gears and clutch. I know some people who have ran ATF in their gearboxes for years and they are still fine as well.

I do agree with Diablo on the clutch clearances tho :P
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information