New casing problem

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
mick1
Main scooter: Li Avanti 225

just put a new casing together (all internals brand new as well). I've been trying to put the rear hub on but when i tighten the hub nut the hub gets tighter and eventually wont turn. I put the hub on without tightening it and when it turns a grinding noise can be heard (and felt). It's not consistant and i suspect a high/tight spot on the casing. I've tried another hub, various cones and a second washer behind the cone.....still no joy. I the shaft turns reasonably freely, no grinding so i suspect the hub is catching somewhere on the casing....anyone had this problem before ?? soloutions ??
mark

have you fitted the brake shoes? as some casings have the brake cam hole too high
mick1

Removed brake shoes and no sign of marks on pivots .....??
mark

but did hub tighten ok with shoes removed?
mick1

No still same problem.without shoes
mark

i would just marker pen inside of hub and edge of casing and keep fitting and turning and relieving metal where the marker pen is rubbed of
mick1

Yup thats what i'm trying but it's frustrating !! I think it's the lip around the shoes on the casing, but even with the marker pen it's not conclusive....
corrado
Dealer
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

MB sell a 2mm spacer that fits on the layshaft. Try some makeshift spacers to see if that aids clearance.
mark

now you mention that i vaguely remember something like that on mine , think i just ground it back until it cleared but thats from the memory of an old man
OAP
Dealer

Had a similar problem a number of weeks ago, on a complete engine build. Turned out to be a nos Spanish gear selector that I had fitted. The gear selector lever sliding pins were rubbing on only part of the gear selector channel.

This made it seem like the rear hub was binding!

the only way you can check this is to take everything out, then turn the layshaft with the rear hub off.
At least it will eliminate this.
I had never come across this before, then again I'm an old git and use to decent parts!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information