Exhaust rant!

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
davet

Picture the scene. You're a tuner/shop and carefully use your calculation software to design the perfect exhaust to go with the specific barrel kit. You take time and input all of the data. You work hard to make the new design fit a lambretta.

So you end up with something which hopefully will work in harmony with the barrel kit. I do appreciate the work those individuals put into the scene and I am more than willing to pay the going rate, to take into account the hard work designing and manufacturing.

But...........and it's a big but...........Why oh why then go and completely ruin the exhaust by putting a s**t stub on it where it meets the barrel? I've seen three exhausts now (got 2 costing £100's of pounds) where the stub infringes the exhaust port by at least 3mm each side. That's not including grinding the gasket flange to attempt to match half of the other part of the port which isn't restricted by the too small link pipe. I'm not talking about the flange but the circular area of the pipe who's diameter is far too small. So when it is squashed to meet the oval exhaust port it severely restricts the flow of exhaust gases. You may as well have an exhaust port 25% smaller.

So to make it work properly, I either make my own link pipe to the correct size, or send the exhaust back and try to find something which fits.

And whilst I'm on one, we all know metal distorts when heated, so why oh why don't exhaust manufacturers grind the gasket face flat after finishing the welding.

It really pisses me off that whilst the view of working to a complete bolt on solution for Lambretta's in enviable, it won't happen until exhaust manufacturers and those using them get their act together.

It's not as if we aren't prepared to pay for quality stuff. I won't tell who it is as I'll let them know directly. But you don't get it anywhere else when you buy bolt on tuning bits. Only with Lambretta stuff. It never seems to fit without some form of fettling.
camel

come on.....do tel!!
Craig H
Xbox live gamer tag: GI TROOPER
Main scooter: Lambretta GP Imola 186

Hear hear who is the right hounarable gentleman? totally agree
shocky

"never heard that before" go on is it :freak: tell tell tell, would it stop you "rocketing to 92mph prone " :lol:
i dont know what A ll the F uss is about :fb:
We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm
davet

I will if my 'constructive observations are not considered'. But I've got to be fair to the dealer first. mind you that's a first for me.

Here's another. I went to a well known tuning shop in the middle of nowhere and spent £1700 on bits!!!! one of the bits was a nicely made disc brake. But there's a catch, only original Italian rims will fit. Any others and you need the brake machining. Fair enough says I. I then ring and ask them to send me two sets of rims to fit, explaining that I want them to fit first time.

Lo and behold the shittiest pair of crappy, holes don't line up, scratched to shite rims appear in the post. So why bother sending out shite when you're going to get it back?

That lead me to thing about us lot who buy bits when we can't make our own. We're split into three groups:-

Those who just accept stuff and do nothing about it.

Those who are too thick to realise any different, that's not a criticism, just an observation and I couldn't think of a nicer way of putting it.

And those who complain. We must be in the minority, coz if we all complained and asked for some better quality control, in some cases from long established 'reputable' dealers. We might actually get to the point of a true bolt on performance lambretta.
LI150
Main scooter: Series 2 LI150

I send everything that is Shite back I hate being ripped off. But over the years I no who I trust and I always avoid buying crap off Ebay unless its an original part
ducksta

the scooter scenes problem is 1 they dont make lambrettas any more 2 you carnt find a scooter shop in every town and all the old stock has been bought so we have a small limited market 3 anything new is built and designed usualy on a good bike not run of the mill scoots 4 we will buy shite if 2 out of ten send back then they have a 80% success rate most buisness would love this,

we all need to grow some balls and name and shame also we need to praise where praise is due dont slag a dealer off he never made it slag the part and importer, i have just spent £450 on the new vespa pinasco vit kit but the head cowl will never ever ever ever match up to the flywheel so alot of filing cutting heating up etc required why coz pinasco paid all there attention on the kit not the standard bits my rant over and no pinasco after service to moan at?
live life your a long time dead
Muttley McLadd

What sort of exhaust is it?

My expensive exhaust came with a perfectly flat flange. It was meant to be so. The welding and brazing isn't in the way of the gasses, and it's a perfect fit.

I think there's a fourth group of people too. They're the ones that have bought bits of scrap metal from dealers, had a whine about it, fettled it for a year or two, taken it somewhere else to make it work right and still go back to the original dealer to buy more scrap metal.
CakeAndArseParty
mick1
Main scooter: Li Avanti 225

and the 5th.....don't complain but never shop there again...
diesel
Playstation gamer tag: speilekorps
Main scooter: lambretta li 150 s1 1958

6.Dont complain, but pass off the cack to another poor sucker and then buy proper stuff with their ill gotten gains
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information