TMX35 needle kufuffle

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
paulnobodyimportant
Main scooter: varies

Now on a PHBH, changing the needle clip is easy.

But just come to drop the needle on my TMX35, which I have never done before and it was a real fight to pull back the spring and get the needle out. As a consequence, the throttle cable has also come out. Now I can see how it all fits back together, but looks like a task that needs 4 hands.

Has anyone got any tips on this process (Dan), because it didn’t seem to have a problem changing needle clip positions when it was dynode a couple of years ago.

Plus, I presume that the photo below shows the correct order, i.e. the needle in first, followed by the nylon holder and spring. (Throttle cable missing for clarity.)

jason frost
Dealer

I drill a hole for the cable to go though, not got any pictures but will do some on the next one I do.
bizzly
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

paulnobodyimportant wrote:Now on a PHBH, changing the needle clip is easy.

But just come to drop the needle on my TMX35, which I have never done before and it was a real fight to pull back the spring and get the needle out. As a consequence, the throttle cable has also come out. Now I can see how it all fits back together, but looks like a task that needs 4 hands.

Has anyone got any tips on this process (Dan), because it didn’t seem to have a problem changing needle clip positions when it was dynode a couple of years ago.

Plus, I presume that the photo below shows the correct order, i.e. the needle in first, followed by the nylon holder and spring. (Throttle cable missing for clarity.)

I put the cable through the top adjuster, then through the spring, collect the spring up together and put the nipple on cable through the plastic bit and then connect to the slide....Its better to loosen the cable adjuster on carb to give you a bit of extra play....always worked for me
djh66
Main scooter: 150 special

It looks very similar to the pwk carb! Hold the spring back on the cable with pin nose pliers, put the plastic shroud over the cable and inset the cable into position in the slide. Slide the shroud down over the cable end, to hold it inplace, remove pliers and let the spring down.
Bring Me Sunshine COYH
JINX

a few tips, as I curse at these assemblies as well.

1 - I clipped the length of the spring, about 25% less. It makes compressing it that much easier, and I didn't see the need for so much force on returning it to the closed throttle position.

2 - I have at times, given up on the carb end connection, and opened up the headset to loosen the attachment point on the throttle wheel. Once that is free, connection is easy, but you have to have a length of cable beyond the pinch bolt.

3 - screwing the adjusted on top of the carb all the way in can give you a smidge more length to get the plastic clip into place.

4 - I have used a mole grip on the cable with the compressed spring behind it, in order to free a hand to fiddle with the rest of the connections.

It is fussy, have a cold beer nearby for relief.
Dimitrios_231

Am I the only one, who thinks that it is quite easy task?

I don't use any tools,
I keep the spring compressed on carb top, using the right hand,
using the left you need to guide the inner cable nipple, through the plastic end attached to the spring.
left hand holds the slide and try to mate it with the cable nipple 8-) ,
release the spring and you are done
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information