Super Monza, is this what we've been waiting for?

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
soulsurfer

I wasn't looking at the speedo, it was a Lambretta one anyway, and I kept running out of road, but top speed is academic as it'll go faster than I'll ever want to go anyway, it's the power delivery that impressed me most.

I did ride the TT3 a while back, but it's like chalk and cheese really and not a fair comparison anyway, the TT3 is aimed at a totally different user and seems to fill that gap well, I described that as a large block GT kit kind of ride, and that does seem to be what others that have ridden it seem to be describing IMO.
Turn On, Tune In, Cop out!
coaster

sideout wrote:....I actually thought the Avanti was what I was waiting for (and before that the RT220 :roll: ) but the reports of having to fit a reed valve to cure the spit back has put me off a bit :cry:
I haven't ridden an Avanti yet but would advice you to do so and talk to Ron before reading too much into other folks reports on spitback. ALL 2 strokes spit back a bit, even with a reed valve and used without a filter petrol and oil WILL get onto the insides of the panels to some extent. What one person sees as a major problem might not seem so bad to you, it's all relative. There could also be other factors making the spit back worse than it needs to be i.e. too rich a mixture during the running period? I will definately be booking a test ride in the not too distant future 8-)
drew2

34.58 bhp 22.94 torque

Zoom in (real dimensions: 723 x 1023)Image

here is a graph of my UN super monza,

tuned monza 225 barrell,
soosh
Main scooter: GP RS200 Iron barrel

coaster wrote:
sideout wrote:....I actually thought the Avanti was what I was waiting for (and before that the RT220 :roll: ) but the reports of having to fit a reed valve to cure the spit back has put me off a bit :cry:
I haven't ridden an Avanti yet but would advice you to do so and talk to Ron before reading too much into other folks reports on spitback. ALL 2 strokes spit back a bit, even with a reed valve and used without a filter petrol and oil WILL get onto the insides of the panels to some extent. What one person sees as a major problem might not seem so bad to you, it's all relative. There could also be other factors making the spit back worse than it needs to be i.e. too rich a mixture during the running period? I will definately be booking a test ride in the not too distant future 8-)
Exactly,don't these remote filters keep things clean too?
steve chapman

im a nats away from finishing mine and after reading soulsurfers thread i am so looking forward to getting in on the road , just waiting for charlie to finish my pipe and im done
soulsurfer as someone said , did you get a picture from the other side , ie the pipe ,Steve
Oldgit Dave
Main scooter: 1962 S3 TV175 with SX panels

sideout wrote:
soulsurfer wrote:......You won't get a lot of change from £2.5k for the cylinder, head, reed assy, pipe, bearings, seals, VHSH30 carb, crank, Varitronic ignition, PT pipe, together with crankcase matching and mag housing mod, but this is the top spec and as has been said, it's pretty much plug and play. If you have the money, you won't be disappointed :-D
Mike, great to get some independent feedback on both this kit and the TT3. Did you also ride a TT3 kitted scooter, or did I dream it? Maybe Scootering will do a comparison feature?
However, http://www.supermonza.co.uk/about.php has got a couple of buttons which helpfully populate your CamLam shopping cart for the bits you need to buy. When I did it the total was over £3k for the cooking version, the factory was £4.5k!
I actually thought the Avanti was what I was waiting for (and before that the RT220 :roll: ) but the reports of having to fit a reed valve to cure the spit back has put me off a bit :cry:
The nearest I'll get to affording the Super Monza is probably one of the T shirts :D :D :D
Please dont think the spit back is a real issue. You have to consider I have had this bike since 1972, back then to go fast you had to hack the side panel to get a big carb on (they are original innocenti panels). The cut side panel exists on the bike today as it did back then, as you can see below.
If the carb was behind the panel the spit back would not be a problem. However as I said elsewhere my wife sits on the back and with the hole, the spit back collects on her jeans. Which means she gets all menstrual, generally in my direction, ruining any chance of a good day. One day I may get the hole welded up.
Oldgit Dave
Main scooter: 1962 S3 TV175 with SX panels

Minimum parts
WTF!!
RICSPEED

Oldgit Dave wrote:
bit of perspex /old visor bonded to the back of pannel ;)
Its in bits scooter club: www.facebook.com/groups/132415046859320
Chris CSPE
Dealer

Great photo Soulsurfer, and looks like a great motor. You've described the hole package as plug and play, any engine that gets tuned to produce high hp & torque would normaly be done along with a engine re-build and the super MONZA is no exception. Wot part of it are you referring to as plug & play? Buying a new DVD player, taking it out the box and connecting it to your TV I'd describe as plug and play . All the high quality parts that have been put together over time and with some mods to the mag and case along with the detailed notes by CE on how there to be fitted and set up equals a top quality engine build.
nelson pk

I think as soulsurfer says, comparing the Supermonza to the Avanti is unfair and it is a bit like chalk and cheese.
The Avanti sounds very good at what it does but if you want something with more power on tap and the perfect motorway mile cruncher, the supermonza is going to be far superior to most things out there and that will come at a price.
The Avanti is a barrel kit and thats it and a very good one from what i've seen. The supermonza is more of a total engine solution for reliability with high horsepower and torque.
If you think of the supermonza just as a barrel kit its going to sound expensive.
If you think of it as an engine solution.....well i bet a hell of a lot of people have spent way over £2500 on different carbs, cranks, ignitions, exhausts, kits, clutches, gearing to try and get that perfect combination.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information