bearing drifts?

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
servetakid
Main scooter: Jet 200

Hi,

Can anyone recomend a set of drifts for doing a lambretta engine?

Or would something like this be any good?

http://www.powertoolworld.co.uk/draper- ... 09540.html
rosscla
Main scooter: Lambretta

Looks like it would be if any of the drifts matched any of the bearings, I don't have any to hand to check

I think from memory the magneto seals are 46 and 52 mm, so I think the bearing will be 52mm OD

The drive side seal is 50mm OD and the bearing is 62mm.

I think there isn't one small enough there for front wheel or cluster bearing either.

Probably better off looking for a specific lambretta set Madspeed do them on ebay from time to time.

Personally I use an appropriate sized socket and never had much trouble doing so.
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better."
alcoholic maniacs sc
Main scooter: 6 volt mobility spaz chariot

servetakid wrote:Hi,

Can anyone recomend a set of drifts for doing a lambretta engine?

Or would something like this be any good?

http://www.powertoolworld.co.uk/draper- ... 09540.html
get a plumbing torch on any baring and it will push out once the alloy has expanded around it. you shouldnt have to drift any baring out, certainly you should never drift a baring in. always building engines and never force anything,theres a reason if it doesnt fit. :geek:
Alcoholic maniacs social club. out f@@k,out fight and out booze 'em.
col@garageartwerks
Dealer
Main scooter: Anima mundi lambretta ts1 225

get in touch with madspeed on here he does a set
artwork on feature scooters : exiled,300,pure seduction,future shock,ink inflicted,carter usm,faithful friend,anima mundi,animal,ratfink,serenity,what is and what should never be,von dutch,the lost generation,grim fairytale
facebook 'the garage artwerks'
corrado
Dealer
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

I use this tool myself, it can be used for most bearings on a Lambretta casing.

http://www.richpresley.co.uk/lambretta- ... l-42-p.asp

Used in conjunction with a bit of heat and various sized washers and / or old bearings it's mastered every job I've tried so far.
It's not cheap but it's cheaper than one visit to a "professional" to fit or remove a bearing and it'll last you a lifetime. Along with a £4 spring puller it's about the best tool I've ever bought. Personally I'd never use a drift to fit or remove bearings, I'm too unlucky not to have a major mishap using one.
MADSPEEDRB260
Main scooter: lambretta gp200

Nice one guy's yes if you need a set just give us a bell mate 07884075408
rosscla
Main scooter: Lambretta

Having said use a socket I did my mag bearing yesterday, put the bearing on the top of the hole and heated the outside with a blow torch. After about a minute heating it round evenly the bearing just dropped right in!

On using pullers, isn't there more of a risk of pulling it right thru? Tapping it in gently at least you can hear when the sound changes that it's home.
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better."
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information