How hot does a TS1 kit get? Kosos CHT gauge ?

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
wax

I am thinking of getting a Koso temp / rev counter, and very snazzy a looks too. The only thing is, is that the temp only goes up to 150 degrees C?

Will this be too low for my TS1?

I could always put the sender under one of the studs, so it reads lower than it would under the spark plug?

any how, here is the link............

http://www.digital-speedos.co.uk/black- ... -179-p.asp
I don't want to keep up with modern traffic. I want to hoon past it, preferably on one wheel!
Lamaddict

From what remember that's too low for a CHT temp but I can't think what the normal run temp is.
Oldgit Dave
Main scooter: 1962 S3 TV175 with SX panels

Are you confusing CHT & EGT readings, my vapour unit has CHT and my rapido 250 runs between 220 & 240 F . My Avanti is in the same ball park sensor is bolted to fin nearest plug in both cases......
150 C equates to 302 F at that temp you'll have melted using CHT to measure.......
Hope that helps
nelson pk

I haven't got a cht personally but while i was doing research on EGT's i learnt a fair bit about them.
I wouldn't go for one that only reads up to 150 degrees c.
The reason i say that as in a few bits i've read it says CHT's on two stroke motor bikes will read about 200 to 210 degrees at their optimum running temp.
Also rotax do a temp guide for cht and egt on two stroke rotax engines (air cooled and you can find it by doing a search on the web) and agian they quote the optimum cht temp to be between 180 degrees c and 220 degrees c.
I have noticed a couple of chaps on here that say their cht's are reading a lot lower as with the previous post. I dont know why and i'm not saying its wrong but it does go against other info out there.
I know you have to have different sensors for air and water cooled and air cooled should be attached under the plug.
I wonder if by attaching it to a fin like a lot do, it reads a cooler temp because the end of a fin is going to be slightly cooler than right under the plug? :?
wax

I have just been on the Cambridge lambretta web site and they have a gauge on there and their description reads:

Cylinder head temps roughly on an air cooled engine can specific to your engine. Some race engines can work to around 100 degrees C, any more they tend to melt, so the operating range of this gauge is fine for plug or head readings. The ideal way to set these would be on a dyno, as you can see where your maximum power is being made, make a note of the temperature, and then set your alarms or guides after this point. Lets say peak power is made when your engine is running at 95, you then know if your engine reaches 100, its not running at its optimum. Every engine will have a different peak power operating temperature, so whilst you can set your gauge to around 90 degrees for a general application, it wont be specific to your engine. The best way to mount the temperature sensors, is to bolt it to one of the cylinder head fins, by drilling a small hole. Do this on to a fin as near to the centre of the head as possible. Whilst these are designed to affix to the spark plug, in truth it is tricky due to the angle of the plug hole, and the sensors can easily be damage when taking your spark plug in and out.

??????????
I don't want to keep up with modern traffic. I want to hoon past it, preferably on one wheel!
nelson pk

Yep, i've read that and the temps are wrong. I think it must be a typo. In books its quoted at just over 200 degrees c as being safe but we are talking about race bikes there so maybe 180 degrees to 200 degrees.
I wish i could attach the rotax guide but i dont know how to but that def says 180 to 220 degrees for aircooled two strokes.
wax

I bet charlie didn't help them type that one out then? ;-)
nelson pk

Doubtful! :lol:
nelson pk

My bet would be that it depends on where the sensor is mounted.
On bikes and other air cooled motors without fans you can mount it under the plug and this will give you more of an instant reading.
Because of the cowlings on a lammy, you have to mount on a fin, so different people are going to mount it in different places. Some closer to the combustion chamber than others.
Its still going to warn you if your bike is running abnormally hot because you know what temp it normally runs at.
Only problem i see is how quick will this indication be if your mounting it on the fins.
An accurate EGT would probably be better in my opinion.
Someone with better knowledge may come along and tell me i'm talking B******s but thats where i think different temps may be coming from.
davet

wax wrote:I am thinking of getting a Koso temp / rev counter, and very snazzy a looks too. The only thing is, is that the temp only goes up to 150 degrees C?

Will this be too low for my TS1?

I could always put the sender under one of the studs, so it reads lower than it would under the spark plug?

any how, here is the link............

http://www.digital-speedos.co.uk/black- ... -179-p.asp
I've just fitted a KOSO to my cast iron barrel. After a 20 mile run, not taking it over 6000 revs, it read no higher than 102 running, it did show 112 after turning the engine off. It might read higher in hot weather but will have to wait. I'll probably be fitting it to my Avanti when it goes in next month.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information