Stupid Agusto 6000 Timing Question

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
mark

Is it tried and tested yet ?
Muttley McLadd

Mine isn't on my bike yet.. but they've been on RS125s for years without incident.
CakeAndArseParty
mark

Any running on anything else apart from a 125 revvy bike?
Diablo
Dealer

I use the M-tech retarder over the augusto but yes it is easier to set up on the dyno.
I have found that quite often you end up slowing the rate the ignition retards down much more than you think you would so that in a lot of cases you end up comparable to the 8000 or more.
The instuctions give you settings comparable to all 3 augustos.
I usually keep advancing the setting untill it stops making power. Theres usually a point where you keep going fowards with no gains. I then go back to the last one there was a power gain and check the setting on the road with the engine loaded up usually pulling up hill. Sometimes you back off a click most times its fine. You probably wouldn't need to do this on a braked dyno but essential on an inertia. I'm lucky where I am that I have the roads to test on. It would be much more difficult in a city.
Don't forget the timing keeps backing off unlike a variatronic. The place where you most want to test is just before and around peak torque. Most road bikes do this around the 6k mark but it differs. The motor must be working hard for you to test this properly. A rev counter of some sort even only a cheap temporary one would help lots here.
The bumf with the kit does show graphs where you can make an educated guess and you could set it up without the dyno with a good ear and the road to do it. Its so easy to adjust that you could do it on your way to and from work over the course of a week or so to find which setting works best. You will find it hard to perceive small changes though but power gains are not all the benefits. You will see better and brisker pick up when accelerating. Be aware though that different timing settings can need different jettings

I like the m-tech because in theory it offers an easily adjustable safe mode setting should you get bad fuel/air leak etc. You also only have to set the stator position once which saves lots of time.
Lamaddict

fred wrote:I suppose it's personal preferance, mines 21 deg at tickover 15 at around 6k.
mine may be a 7000 tho.
fred

I've just put on a 6000 one on with a BGM stator fully anti clockwise ( I think the SIL wave ones around too much, you can see it using a stobe). Mine looks like the above 21 - 15, this setting means it's pretty safe, maybe too safe, I'd rather be able to map something like 25 - 19 but I guess that would mean elongating the stator slots to get the stator moving further anti clockwise.
carlos fandango

ArmandTanzarian wrote:All a bit academic for the moment. The Agusto has gone wrong. It's causing a serious misfire.

I like the idea of the variable ignition though. Are Agusto's still the one to go for or are there better thing available now.
Readspeeds one should be available in the next couple of weeks.
Its a CDI unit with a dial to alter the retard settings ;) all in one unit .
When i was young my Mom said "if you haven't got anything nice to say, say nothing at all " ..................... and people wonder why I'm quiet around them !
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information