fixing offset cones

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
sydduckett

My back wheel is canted over to one side and on the pi**. The mounts look fine and i suspect the offest cones have rotated when i attempted to release a stubborn rusted engine mount bar.. :oops: I have checked the scoot all over and there are no cracks, and the rear hub is nice and solid so i suspect the cones are the logical culprit?

Anyways i want to put a grub screw into each cone to secure it at the right place. it looks as though the best bet is to flip the scooter on its back and then go in from the bottom slighty off centre. Has anyone done this mod? If so any info feedback would be much appreciated.
ta
sef
col@garageartwerks
Dealer
Main scooter: Anima mundi lambretta ts1 225

Hello sef, just done this to my bike as cones had spun like yours and bike was scary to ride, took no time at all, dropped the engine and clamped the cones in so they were compressed, I then drilled through the frame into the cones ,took the cones out and tapped the holes in the frame. I enlarged the hole in the cones a little so the grub screw would fit in. Rebuilt it and and put grub screws in , bike feels good on road again now
artwork on feature scooters : exiled,300,pure seduction,future shock,ink inflicted,carter usm,faithful friend,anima mundi,animal,ratfink,serenity,what is and what should never be,von dutch,the lost generation,grim fairytale
facebook 'the garage artwerks'
carlos fandango

How did you fit them originally Sef ? dry ? i ve loctited mine in, been fine so far. :)
When i was young my Mom said "if you haven't got anything nice to say, say nothing at all " ..................... and people wonder why I'm quiet around them !
sydduckett

carlos fandango wrote:How did you fit them originally Sef ? dry ? i ve loctited mine in, been fine so far. :)

they were loctited as well but i wanted to drop the engine a while back and the bar was stuck solid. I smashed fuc* out of it with a hammer and drift and she didnt budge. In the end i had to give up as the thread was getting to mangled so left it as was. I guess the persauder caused the loctite to crack and the cones or at least one turned. the wheels so far to the flywheel side that the tyre rubs against the panel clip... :o
sydduckett

col@garageartwerks wrote:Hello sef, just done this to my bike as cones had spun like yours and bike was scary to ride, took no time at all, dropped the engine and clamped the cones in so they were compressed, I then drilled through the frame into the cones ,took the cones out and tapped the holes in the frame. I enlarged the hole in the cones a little so the grub screw would fit in. Rebuilt it and and put grub screws in , bike feels good on road again now

Col, going to be anal now... :D Where abouts did you drill the frame, what size grub did you use for the job and how far back into the frame did you go, by that i mean did you put the grub into the front of the cone or further back as it tapers?

ta
col@garageartwerks
Dealer
Main scooter: Anima mundi lambretta ts1 225

Hello mate... Drilled from the back of the mount so it was easier to get the grub screws in when everything was fitted back in. Drilled them about 15 mm from the edge with a 4 mm grub screw. Will try and take some pics today for ya
artwork on feature scooters : exiled,300,pure seduction,future shock,ink inflicted,carter usm,faithful friend,anima mundi,animal,ratfink,serenity,what is and what should never be,von dutch,the lost generation,grim fairytale
facebook 'the garage artwerks'
camel

just use silicone.....dosnt set hard and will give...
carlos fandango

sydduckett wrote:
carlos fandango wrote:How did you fit them originally Sef ? dry ? i ve loctited mine in, been fine so far. :)

they were loctited as well but i wanted to drop the engine a while back and the bar was stuck solid. I smashed fuc* out of it with a hammer and drift and she didnt budge. In the end i had to give up as the thread was getting to mangled so left it as was. I guess the persauder caused the loctite to crack and the cones or at least one turned. the wheels so far to the flywheel side that the tyre rubs against the panel clip... :o
Your supposed to loctite the outside of the cones :lol: :lol: :lol:
When i was young my Mom said "if you haven't got anything nice to say, say nothing at all " ..................... and people wonder why I'm quiet around them !
sydduckett

camel wrote:just use silicone.....dosnt set hard and will give...

I think thats what i used but cant be sure, i cant be doing with this boll**ks happening again so its grub screws for mmmeeeeeeeeeeeee... :D
sydduckett

col@garageartwerks wrote:Hello mate... Drilled from the back of the mount so it was easier to get the grub screws in when everything was fitted back in. Drilled them about 15 mm from the edge with a 4 mm grub screw. Will try and take some pics today for ya

Cheers Col
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information