Help please - Problem with original 6v electronic.

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
22/2

Adam_Winstone wrote:
22/2 wrote:Adam

Swapped green and white with no success, are you saying you have suitable stators to show the wiring configuration? Would be good to see some pics if you could, I'm capable of re soldering a few wires if I know where they are going.

Also some time ago Steve Rowe asked you if you had any spare large posters left, which you did,ring any bells? do you still have them? it was for me.

Richard
Yes and yes, you'll need to give me some time to take some pics though. Email me at adamw@mjaconsulting.co.uk as a reminder.

Shame that the swap of wire didn't work for you. I found it incredibly frustrating to send away 2 of the same stators and get them back wired differently, typical 'Friday afternoon' work :( Had I known, I'd have never sent such original stators away.

I'll see what I can do.... but I'm not putting my iron barrel back up against your RB again in a hurry ;)
Thanks and thanks, the sprint was a good day out although a bit cold, I've done a year with the NSA southern it was good fun, haven't broken any records yet but the motor is still together and running strong.
Attachments
NSA - Santa Pod 2008 055.JPG
jonny snatchsniffer

why not use the cdi that works
Adam_Winstone
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

P.S.
Welcome to Scooterotica Adam. 8-)[/quote]

Thanks, and a belated HNY to you sir. I'd noted who you are from reading some of your posts before registering. ;)

Looking forward to our paths crossing at some stage in 2012.

Adam
22/2

jonny snatchsniffer wrote:why not use the cdi that works
I've spent a lot of time and money sourcing all the correct parts for a factory spec resto, I have the parts it's just a matter of understanding the problem.

I'm not going to let a simple thing like the electrics stop me getting it how I want it - original.

Rich
22/2

I think I know what the problem could be, we'll see what the experts say but the stator appears to be wire as an Indian not an original.
Adam_Winstone
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

^... yes, frustratingly :(
22/2

J1MS - Is your PM restricted??, I'm having trouble replying.

Richard
firekdp

If you're going to modify it yourself, simply disconnect the white, pick up green and LT coil earth from the stator back-plate. They still need to be connected to each other, just isolated from earth.
Connect the stator white to the green on the CDI and the stator green to the white on the CDI (or as you're going to be busy with a soldering iron simply swap them around so the colours will be correct).
coaster

J1MS wrote:The LT coil on an original ducati stator is placed on to the backplate in effect back to front, this reverses the polarity on the charge coil, the coil on a SIL stator is fitted the opposite, that is in the same way as the lighting coils...

Wiring to the same terminals off the bobbins of each coil would look the same, but it's not as the LT coils windings are in effect reversed
J1MS, that's interesting, I'm just about to embark on winding my own stator coils (ex west Coast Widings effort) but THOUGHT that it wouldn't matter about polarity as its an AC voltage. The lighting coils are wound alternatly anti-clockwise - clockwise - anti-clockwise ans clockwise in the direction of travel....not sure why :? I am intending on copying whatever reotation is already being used. I'll probably start a new thread when I get properly started.
firekdp

Coaster, the coils are alternately wound because, at any one time there will be an opposite pole affecting them. A north magnetic pole will will generate an opposite polarity to a south pole. If the adjacent coils were wound the same way it would be like connecting batteries with the positives together, ie no current would flow. As you're winding lighting coils it doesn't matter which direction you wind them, as long as they alternate.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information