Beedspeed 225 alloy kit advice

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
diesel
Playstation gamer tag: speilekorps
Main scooter: lambretta li 150 s1 1958

Hi All,
Can anyone tell me is the Beedspeed 225 alloy kit the same as those sold as e-bay alloys.I bought one last year and am in the process of tidying it up and fitting it to a Gp200 engine.I have an LTH reedvalve for it and need to know about cutting a boost port in the barrel, Will it need to be cut to the same height as the top of the transfers.
Also can anyone tell me the diameter of the crankcase where the barrel sits as the gasket that came with the kit wont fit the barrel and nor will a 200-225 gasket I got from LTH and I am begining to worry that the barrel wont fit the crankcase when I eventualy get around to sticking it in fnar fnar

Cheers
Steve
soulsurfer

Do you have the gasket the right way round? Why don't you see if the cylinder fits the crankcase?
Turn On, Tune In, Cop out!
diesel

Im positive the gaskets are the right way round and I dont really want to dismantle the engine yet just to get the measurement of the casing The scooter is working fine for now (Id rather spend hours researching, porting, grinding, honing and such to perfection then offer it up and discover it wont fit afterwards :) ).Im assuming the gaskets are wrong for the moment Id just like to verify it,I bought the LTH one because the supplied one wouldnt fit.The barrel itself measures 74.8 mm at the gasket face the LTH gasket measures 69.7mm max.
soulsurfer

That gasket is wrong for your casing, your cylinder bore will be 70mm, you just need the correct gasket ;-)
coaster

I have 2 sitting on the shelf which I have just measured at 74.8mm across the spiggot so it would seem you do have the wrong gasket.

With regard to porting mods for using a read manifold, I have modified mine to run with an MB reed manifold with a boost port cut from the inlet manifold up to level with the top of the transfers. I posted about it here when I forst did it http://scooterotica.org/forum/viewtopic ... rt#p102929 but have since widened the boost port to 20mm. I would have gone wider but broke through to the outside of the barrel in the process (fixed with JB Weld 2k miles ago). You will also need to use a reed piston, I ran it with an MB Racetour for a whicl untill I melted the crown :oops: and is currently on a used TS1 piston. If you are keen to have a go yourself I'd recommend just buying ther barrel off ebay as they can be had for around £50 new and then sourse your own piston and head.

Cheers

colin
diesel

Cheers for that Colin If I had put my brain in gear before posting I would have known the gaskets were the problem.What happened the modified piston your kit came with? did you ever run it? to be honest I was going to modify my own one (Im a cheapskate) although I am coming around to the notion that I may end up buying a rapido or branded kit and have done with it.
soulsurfer

No problem :-?
diesel

soulsurfer wrote:No problem :-?
Apologies and Thanks for the advice, the coincidence of having two gaskets from two different suppliers neither of which fit threw me I knew the bore was and should be 70mm and even when I measured the gasket it just didnt register with me. Im playing MW3 online while posting and Im not good at multi-tasking
coaster

diesel wrote:Cheers for that Colin If I had put my brain in gear before posting I would have known the gaskets were the problem.What happened the modified piston your kit came with? did you ever run it? to be honest I was going to modify my own one (Im a cheapskate) although I am coming around to the notion that I may end up buying a rapido or branded kit and have done with it.
I'm a bit of a cheapskate myself which is the main reason that I didn't go for the Rapido option ;) The modified piston that came with my barrel was just the cheapo piston that must have been supplied origionally with the kit. The previous owner had drilled 3 holes in the piston to give 360 degree inlet duration and I ran it for a few hundred miles. It ran fine but unbenown to me, the cylinder head gasket had squashed into the combustion chamber and the piston was hitting it. Eventually the piston deformed enough to jam the rings in their grooves and I lost compression. By that time I had found a slightly used racetour piston on here so used that in the reworked barrel and made sure that the head gasket was trimmed back sufficiently.

Eventually I will buy a proper kit (my eye is on the Avanti at the mo) but for now I'm having a lot of fun by tinkering and learning by asking lots of questions 8-)

Colin
diesel

coaster wrote:. I would have gone wider but broke through to the outside of the barrel in the process (fixed with JB Weld 2k miles ago).
colin
I was having a look at my barrel and it looks as if there is shag all meat on it for putting in a boost port,I might get some weld put on in advance of cutting it.How deep does the channel need to be to be effective?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information