Ron Moss - Avanti TT3 - Cylinder Kit - Review & Test.....

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
mick1
Main scooter: Li Avanti 225

Out of interest is the quality of fuel the same in the US as we have over here in the UK ? ......(i bet it's a dam site cheaper :mrgreen: )
gp200ts1
Main scooter: lambretta series 2

I know that regular is 87 octane rating but they calculate octane ratings differently in the states to over here, something to do with ron and mon rating
OAP
Dealer

Look I get the blame for a lot of things already but I do NOT grade kin petrol, leave my name out of it ;)
Tom Russell

OAP wrote:Look I get the blame for a lot of things already but I do NOT grade kin petrol, leave my name out of it ;)
Lol ;-)
paul190
Main scooter: S2 lambretta Avanti TT3

Although petrol is slightly lower in octane in USA it does have far more corn based crap in it.
Which fouls up spark plugs and burns really Inefficiently giving us really low gas miles and hours of fun cleaning carbs and replacing float bowls,because the ethanol makes them expand and float bowl needles because the same crap eats away at the rubber tips , if you have that type .
mick1
Main scooter: Li Avanti 225

So your jetting would probably be different on UK fuel..........
paul190
Main scooter: S2 lambretta Avanti TT3

right now mikuni carb set up for my Avanti is
6en11-58 needle second clip
290 main jet
15 pilot

also recently installed the jockeys boxenstop rear brake kit ....VERY NICE :)
feels really solid. can really brake now !!
victor
Main scooter: Tv175 but currently a SS210 :)

paul190 wrote:Although petrol is slightly lower in octane in USA it does have far more corn based crap in it.
Which fouls up spark plugs and burns really Inefficiently giving us really low gas miles and hours of fun cleaning carbs and replacing float bowls,because the ethanol makes them expand and float bowl needles because the same crap eats away at the rubber tips , if you have that type .
It's not the ethanol in modern fuel that is causing this but all the other additives fuel companies add to clean fuel injectors, increase efficiency and make the fuel mixable with ethanol, among other things. Alcohol is much less aggressive on plastic and rubber than petroleum based fluids.
GP240

so which should I now use ?

2 star or 3 star haha.

I can see your point about the fuel cleaning the injectors and this is probably the cause to rubber breaking down and floats swelling (depre-fekin-dation lol), but being a minority in the "OIL INDUSTRY" what's the option/solution.
Old Lambretta's never die, they get tuned..................
victor
Main scooter: Tv175 but currently a SS210 :)

As long as you up jet slightly with increasing ethanol mixture (as it's a bit leaner) you will be fine. A friend of mine (researcher/chemist and nerd) is running 100% ethanol just to test if it's possible and to be environmentally friendly and mentioned upjetting 140% was necessary but I think he said you'll need special oil to allow it to mix with alcohol.

Remember, you can easily put alcohol in you cars windscreen washing fluid container with no ill effect to the system, try putting petrol in it and it will ruin all the tubes :)

Problem is rather that people run poorly setup carbs with the original 60s type of float needles and floats. My SS carb leaked like crazy, fitted modern float and float needle and problem solved :)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information