Ron Moss - Avanti TT3 - Cylinder Kit - Review & Test.....

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
OAP
Dealer

victor wrote:Why isn't a new kit made to fit with the exhausts on the market?
Tell you what, why don't we go back to using square wheels?
victor
Main scooter: Tv175 but currently a SS210 :)

OAP wrote:
victor wrote:Why isn't a new kit made to fit with the exhausts on the market?
Tell you what, why don't we go back to using square wheels?
Sorry if I've upset anyone, just thought it was about a location and an angle but obviously there's more to it than that :)

As this is a kit I'd love to own it would of course be great if it would fit the exhaust I already have which I to be honest thought it would, but it seems as if that's unlikely :(

Again apologies for any stupid questions.

Cheers V
coaster

victor wrote:....As this is a kit I'd love to own it would of course be great if it would fit the exhaust I already have which I to be honest thought it would, but it seems as if that's unlikely
If you mean your Gori Vic then I'm sure it would fit without too much fettling 8-)
victor
Main scooter: Tv175 but currently a SS210 :)

coaster wrote:
victor wrote:....As this is a kit I'd love to own it would of course be great if it would fit the exhaust I already have which I to be honest thought it would, but it seems as if that's unlikely
If you mean your Gori Vic then I'm sure it would fit without too much fettling 8-)
It was indeed :) Just need to sort that big block now ;)
dapper
Main scooter: The Biriani Bullet

Kit #93 just delivered. Going to use a 28/30PWK with a JL3. Anyone using this set up and can give ball park jetting please?
Compact Toolbox Flywheel Holder
Adam_Winstone
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

Most pipes will fit this kit with very little work, however, thinking 'outside of the box' is one of the main advantages of this kit. Indeed, the cylinder will not fit existing head cowlings either but it is the vast increase in fin and head area that allows it to cool considerably better than the existing kits that we've been limited to so far.

Come to think about it, we wouldn't have expansions or any of the other kits if we simply stuck to what we already have. No standard Lambretta exhaust would fit a TS1 without changing the flange, nor could we use a standard cowling or manifold on that kit either.... and you don't have to cut your battery tray off to fit an Avanti TT3. Same goes for the RBs which would require a different pipe again.

Taking it to the extreme... I've had to cut fins off some standard iron barrels to fit stub mounted expansions before :shock: let alone a kit barrel.

I don't think that we should be too critical of the Avanti to the point where we see one of its BIG advantages, the increased cooling surface area, as a disadvantage ;)

Adam
Muppet
Main scooter: SX 150 running in

I can see not ownin an avanti as a disadvantage
C’est la vie
Spanish Fly
Main scooter: P200e

Adam_Winstone wrote:Sticky's troublesome test barrel
What troubles did it have? :oops:

SF
Adam_Winstone
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

Bugger... got part way through responding and my PC glitched, losing the thread!

^... Sticky's case was covered in detail in Scootering and there are various theories going around about what happened and why. Depending on who you want to talk to you will get some very different answers but whatever the cause Sticky had a patch of the plating lift off the bore wall and result in the barrel needing to be replated. Thankfully, this has not been the case with my barrel or others out there that have notched up thousands of miles of high performance and trouble-free riding. To date, my experience of the Avanti kit has been 100% positive :D

What has been excellent about the Avanti is that Ron has never shied away from letting the kit speak for itself, by its results. Ironically, it was the highest profile barrel that had issues! That said, this cannot be considered in isolation as I can't think of a single kit out there that hasn't had a bit of bad publicity, even though some have gone on to prove themselves as being EXTREMELY reliable over the years. The Gilardoni kits have gone through periods of dodgy plating and oval bores, another recently developed high-publicity kit suffered repeat plating failures (although this did not get publicised!), whilst other iron lined alloy kits have worn rapidly because of soft liners.

One good thing to come from Sticky's issues was that the strip down showed no wear or issues with the plating or body of the exhaust bridge, which some people had questioned because of the old problem of thin steel bridges (cut from barrel fins and welded into place) warping on 'old school' iron barrel tunes required them to be relieved. I note that there is now a plated Polini (I think) Vespa kit that employs a similar wide central bridge. After several thousand miles I can confirm that the bridge of my Avanti also shows no signs of wear and is still like new.

I am looking forward to getting more miles on my Avanti this year and hope that the performance and durability of this kit will speak for itself.

Adam
Spanish Fly
Main scooter: P200e

Thanks Adam.
I'm not a regular Scootering reader so that explains why it passed me by. :mrgreen:

Cheers.
SF
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information