Ron Moss - Avanti TT3 - Cylinder Kit - Review & Test.....

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
tavspeed

these kits look good value at £535 including the head etc,as these are extra's as on ts1 kits etc,even if you need a new crank exhaust and carb,it will undercut much talked about kits by thousands,and is on the shelf now to buy,if it puts out 23+bhp straight from the box i can see it being a top seller,any idea on m.p.g as this is more and more getting an important issue,cheers all.
drunkmunkey6969
Main scooter: '69 Lambretta GP

OK, we got Andy's scooter into the workshop on Saturday, its a 200cc cast iron cylinder, Sean Brady port/tune with a 30mm delly and a PM25 pipe. We ran it up on the dyno with 3 pipes, and i will do a seperate thread on that next week regarding the Franspeed Race pipe we are testing.

After the 1st pipe test was done, we then stripped his old kit, sorted a few bits, and then fitted the Avanti kit.....

Franspeed Race & Avanti kit awaiting punishment:

Avanti Kit fitted, bring on the dyno!

Dyno testing on the kit commmences Monday.....!

Stay tuned ;) :lol:
See our YouTube scooter channel for Tech-help: https://www.youtube.com/c/TheScooterFactory/videos
sideout
Main scooter: SX150/GP Muggy/LiS3 Avanti TT3

Dan, doesn't the kit have to be run-in first to reach it's full potential on the dyno? or is it ok to thrash it straight out of the box?

Just curious, because I quite fancy one of these :)

Nigel
mikeallen
Xbox live gamer tag: junkyevenflow69

Hi Dan,

I'm looking to fit the Franspeed road pipe to My Avanti TT3 kit on my GP project but concerned if it will fit ok due to the cylinder size.

Could you tell me if the exhaust bracket on the Franspeed pipe at the chaincase clashes with the barrel much & what may need to be trimmed in order for it to fit OK.

Much appreciated

Mike
drunkmunkey6969

sideout wrote:Dan, doesn't the kit have to be run-in first to reach it's full potential on the dyno? or is it ok to thrash it straight out of the box?

Just curious, because I quite fancy one of these :)

Nigel
Hi Nige.....this kit comes with very particular running in instructions which must be followed to the letter, and we will be doing exactly that when it leaves the workshop.

However we will be fine to do 2 or 3 quick runs on the dyno to get some ballpark 'base figures' for everyone before we send it out on the road. The dyno runs for this exercise will be short and sweet, its not like covering tonnes of road miles at full chat with no regard for running in....lol.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk
See our YouTube scooter channel for Tech-help: https://www.youtube.com/c/TheScooterFactory/videos
soosh
Main scooter: GP RS200 Iron barrel

Sorry,you may have already said but are you using the 30 dellorto still?
drunkmunkey6969

soosh wrote:Sorry,you may have already said but are you using the 30 dellorto still?
Yes :)
drunkmunkey6969

OK, sorry for the delay (nothing compared to Adspeeds wait for graphs!! lol) but have been busy.

Anyway, built scooter Saturday and dynoed Monday, it was a VERY gentle run as it was a brand new kit and not yet run in or ready to be thrashed, so the figures are not to be considered peak yet. Also, as a cautionary point, it was jetted quite rich for safety so again, not peak figures. And lastly.....Andys clutch started slipping, he did say it was well worn and i suspect the increased power of the Avanti kit exposed that weakness. Sounds like a list of excuses, but its just the way it was on the day. So we didn't bother doing all 3 pipes we had to hand, just the PM pipe his scooter came with.

The clutch will be getting changed next week when we the bits arrive, and we are going to fit an MB upgraded gear selector spring at the same time, i will then re-dyno with all 3 pipes. We also hopefully have Corrado dropping off a selection of additional pipes to try too (including a clubman).

Anyway, for now, here is the result with the PM pipe, rich jetting and slipping clutch:

What you see above are three BHP curves, the purple is the Avanti TT3 kit, and i also picked two other scooters that we have previously dynoed for comparison. As stated before, the Avanti kit is fitted with PM pipe, 30mm Delly and unported/standard casings, therefore i picked 2 other scooters with 30mm dellorto carbs and unported casings to compare. The Blue line is a 200cc SIL standard cylinder with 30mm delly and a ScootRS pipe (PM copy). The Green is an unported/standard TS1 225 with 30mm delly and Devtour.

Now as you can see, the SIL200 is predictably the lowest performer, hitting 12bhp by 6000rpm and holding on until 7500rpm, the running out of steam. The TS1 is performing in the power over a similar rev range, but up at 18bhp. And the Avanti is right up there with the TS1 peaking at 17.5bhp but also pulling very strongly in the mid-range too.

Now given that the two other kits were run in, had no clutch slip and were on their final jetting run, i think the Avanti is showing great promise at this early stage. Also, on a previous test we did on Andy's stage 4 tuned engine, we know the Franspeed Race pulled 2.5bhp more than his PM pipe so just a straight change of pipe on the Avanti should take the readings on our dyno to 20bhp, but we expect more than that once the slipping clutch is changed and the jetting is corrected.

That's all for now, more to follow.....
Bilko
Main scooter: LI150

Thanks for sharing the info. Great stuff.
Bilko's Oily Blog

Directionally dysfunctional since 1966
bazman
Playstation gamer tag: bazman70

Sorry edit , don't tap keyboard when drunk. :oops:
Ta Baz.
Last edited by bazman on Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information