Ron Moss - Avanti TT3 - Cylinder Kit - Review & Test.....

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Rick
Main scooter: Jet200

Im running a super tourer on my Avanti and it does drink abit about 8miles per litre, loads of fun in the revs but I miss the torque of my taffspeed it loved hills be nice to have both. May have to look ay the DJ pipe. With the super tourer it's easer to sit at 70 than 60 but it will pull 60 in 3rd.
OAP
Dealer

mick1 wrote:God knows how many miles i've put on my Avanti (8k+ ?) but i'm now into my 3rd year and it's still going strong. I started with a Ron Moss clubman, changed to a Franspeed Tourer (not the super) and i'm now running the Franspeed Race. I've ditched the varitronic and i'm running 17 BTC static. I've changed from a Rocho 5 plate clutch to a "standard" 4 plate (LTH plates with MB springs). It's feeling boggy low down which i'm assuming is down to going static so a bit of carb' fettling is in order. I must admit this is the best kit/scoot i've ever had in way of performance and reliability. It's been so good that 2 mates are now running Avantis as well (York Avanti Crew :roll: ). The difference between the kits is amazing. We all run 30mm PHBH but the exhausts seem to make a massive difference.

Going to Morcambe over the Pennines i suffered with my tall gearing (4:6) and the Race exhaust. I think i travelled in 3rd for most of the trip. My mates series 2 with my old Franspeed Tourer performed marginally better but we were all put to shame by the 3rd Avanti which was using a DJ exhaust. He hardly changed gear cruising at 60+ on the flats and climbing the hills with ease. Filling up was the killer, i put 10 litres in, the series 2 9 litres and the DJ exhaust managed to squeeze a miserly 6 litres :o

I'm sticking with the Race for now as there is a lot of fun factor when you do hit the power band, but im looking at changing to 4:8 final drive, same as the other 2 Avantis
Mick
100% 4.8:1 is the way to go with the race pipe, you will be glad you changed it!
mick1
Main scooter: Li Avanti 225

Will be changing it for Kelso. Got a new front sprocket and chain, just finding the time.......plus the bolts on the Franspeed are a pain, either a 5 min' job or a hour !!
Strummer10
Main scooter: Lambretta LI Special 225

A mate with a TS1 also had a go on me Avanti and even he said it ran really well and he builds racebikes !! coolio
Adam_Winstone
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

Rick wrote:Im running a super tourer on my Avanti and it does drink abit about 8miles per litre, loads of fun in the revs but I miss the torque of my taffspeed it loved hills be nice to have both. May have to look ay the DJ pipe. With the super tourer it's easer to sit at 70 than 60 but it will pull 60 in 3rd.
I was shocked by how much grunt I lost when I fitted my supertourer (!), to the point that I had to fit an Agusto 6K unit to bring enough back. If this had not been reasonably successful then I'd have taken the supertourer back off and stuck my JL3 back on.

Are you running any form of advance/retard ignition?

Adam
Rick
Main scooter: Jet200

Adam_Winstone wrote:
Rick wrote:Im running a super tourer on my Avanti and it does drink abit about 8miles per litre, loads of fun in the revs but I miss the torque of my taffspeed it loved hills be nice to have both. May have to look ay the DJ pipe. With the super tourer it's easer to sit at 70 than 60 but it will pull 60 in 3rd.
I was shocked by how much grunt I lost when I fitted my supertourer (!), to the point that I had to fit an Agusto 6K unit to bring enough back. If this had not been reasonably successful then I'd have taken the supertourer back off and stuck my JL3 back on.

Are you running any form of advance/retard ignition?

Adam
Did the augsto make a big difference? There seems to be a big gap between 3/4 gear.. Think I'll try the augsto the pipe does make the scooter fly are they easy to set up or is it trial and error.. Ron is quiet local to me and he did mention you.

Thanks Warrick
Livi- Graeme
Main scooter: Lambretta li 185 series 2

Anyone using a 30 mm phbh delly with av264 and x13 combination. Was using av266 and x7 but found it a bit rich. What main jet did you end up with. Any thoughts appreciated. thanks Graeme
mick1
Main scooter: Li Avanti 225

I've got the x13 with a av 268 and a 124 main jet, but might be altering it as running boggy low down.
Andy Pickering
Main scooter: GP

Livi- Graeme wrote:Anyone using a 30 mm phbh delly with av264 and x13 combination. Was using av266 and x7 but found it a bit rich. What main jet did you end up with. Any thoughts appreciated. thanks Graeme
Me and yes, and yes was using the other combo and yes did make it rich, I ended up with 122 main as per Rons instructions, any changes MUST be backed up with plug chops/checks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ricspeed, gone but never forgotten RIP my friend #59
Livi- Graeme
Main scooter: Lambretta li 185 series 2

Yes changed mine today. Done a short run and feel it transformed the way it ran so much better. A little sluggish on pick up. What pilot jet are you using got a 50 in mine at moment. And of course I will be doing plug chops. Cheers Graeme
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information