Ron Moss - Avanti TT3 - Cylinder Kit - Review & Test.....

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Adam_Winstone
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

Good to see that the latest Pinasco PX177 kit has a very similar centrally bridged exhaust port to the TT3. The concerns about this design that were raised during early evaluation of the kit did not prove to be the case and even Sticky's troublesome test barrel showed no wear to the centrally, not relieved, bridge. After a couple of thousand miles on my standard kit there is no sign of any wear to the bore, including across the bridge.

I'm looking forward to getting a few more thousand miles of trouble-free rally use on the TT3 in 2013 and perhaps try a couple of other configurations on a second barrel that I have to play with, although I'm not expecting to match to 30BHP example that has been posted in the dyno section of this site!

Come on 2013 and some better weather as I want to start doing some more enjoyable miles!

Adam
Andy Pickering
Main scooter: GP

I'm truly looking forward to 2013 and laying some more rubber down on the tt3, a much needed crank upgrade by Dan should eliminate a potential fail from my engine and an exhaust upgrade albeit not the franspeed race I had hoped for but more likely a lesser 2nd hand franspeed or even a siagon replica of the taffspeed all will depend as always on spendability.more updates throughout the year in 2013

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
Ricspeed, gone but never forgotten RIP my friend #59
CANbus

coaster wrote:
lockman69 wrote:Any updates on this kit?...there must be a few fully run in and set up by now.
Only 18 miles on mine so far but it feels great 8-) The build was very easy, the most time consuming issue was tidying up the AF inlet manifold, opening it out to match the Avanti inlet was to be expected but the inlet path was positively 'D' shaped where the nearest stup passed through. I spent about an hour with a rasp, dremel and electric drill before I was happy with it. Mind you, it was only £19, half the price of the MB one but onlya fraction of the quality.....that'll teach me :oops: I was using a 58mm crank with a 110mm rod and the best I could get the squish to was 1.42mmwith no gaskets used. Not as close as I would have liked and would have maybe changed the packer to a thinner (2mm) one and played with the gaskets if family issues hadn't intervened :cry: . I'm using a JL3 expansion and managed to get it to fit after putting a few washers behind the main bracket on the crank case and bending the bracket on the expansion box out a little. No grinding of the barrel fins necessary at all. It did need a slight 'ding' with a hammer though to clear the cowling around the cylinder head. Jetted it in accordance with Ron's recommendations i.e.
30 PHBH
40 slide
X7 2nd clip down
AV266
125 main
55 pilot

Timing is 22 degrees with a August 6000 fitted. Started after a few prods of the kickstart despite the fact that the clutch was slipping and the engine was hardly turning over and soon settled into a regular tickover. After adjusting the clutch out (I had rebuilt it as it HAD been binding :roll: ) I took it for a shake down bimble through Thetford forest sticking to the 45 mph recommended....very frustrating as it does as others have commented, pull like a train and can't wait to get back on it and put in some more miles 8-)

As for the spitback issue, mine seems to have very little, certainly less that my Mk1 Muggy 186, I was running withoiut the pannels fitted though but with the muggy there was a visible 'cloud' of atomised fuel, not so on the Avanti as far as I could tell.

Hi Coaster.

did/have you carried out a plug chop at WOT with this set up? How did the plug colour look?
I had the same set up as you prior to changing the main from 125 to 128 yesterday.
I carried out a plug chop at WOT but the plug still look rather lean.

upto 3/4 engine runs great.

thanks
11111111 = 0xFF
coaster

CANbus wrote:Hi Coaster.

did/have you carried out a plug chop at WOT with this set up? How did the plug colour look?
I had the same set up as you prior to changing the main from 125 to 128 yesterday.
I carried out a plug chop at WOT but the plug still look rather lean.

upto 3/4 engine runs great.

thanks
The first time I had it flat out for long enough to record a plug colour was on the way back from a Rememberance day rideout back in November. I was at WOT pretty much for 8 miles with the last 5 being uninterupted WOT with the scoot topping out at 71mph (Garmin Roadrunner). The CHT was reading arounf 180 degrees and the CHT was around 600 degrees. I didn't cut the engine to examine the plug but I only covered an additional 1/2 mile of slow running (30 mph) from slowing down to switching off when I reached home. Due to a very loose endplate I didn't ride it again until a week ago and checked the plug before I went out...it was a nice mid chocholate electrode with black around the outside, pretty much spot on 8-) Further down the rev range it had been a bit boggy in the warmth of summer but that bogginess was not present in November due to the colder air temp. I should point out that it is now running a breathing sweet filter but otherwise, the setup is as posted above.

Colin
psychedelicropcircle
Main scooter: Series 1 li150 1958

ts piston for avanti reed ron.
OAP
Dealer

word of warning to everyone else, NEVER fit this type of piston in a TT3 kit, the indents around the gudgeon pin can keep the exhaust port open & also track between the exhaust port / transfers. RM
psychedelicropcircle

Avanti

TS
psychedelicropcircle

duh avanti :(
mick1
Main scooter: Li Avanti 225

What am i missing ? Can you explain what the pictures are showing ?
psychedelicropcircle

Mick I couldn't find rons email and he wanted some photos as my bridged port looked like it had a seize. Ones the original and ones a TS which might not work properly.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information