Ron Moss - Avanti TT3 - Cylinder Kit - Review & Test.....

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Andy Pickering
Main scooter: GP

Cheers Mate :D BTW did you sell your Stage 4 top end?
Ye mate, Tim ( li150) bought it a while back for the GP he is building I think.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
Ricspeed, gone but never forgotten RIP my friend #59
OAP
Dealer

22.5mm small end clarification
After a telephone call from a patron of this site I thought I had better check and clarify what I had written previously as at the time I was somewhat P*ssed off.

Whilst there is side float of the conrod using a 22.5mm small end bearing I found at the time that the small end was tight in the piston it's self.
But I have since check 6 pistons and found that the clearance is 3 thou ( approx 0.075mm) between the small end and the inside of the piston faces.
I then put a piston with gudgeon pin & small end in an oven and heated to 200 degrees C, the clearance seemed to be approx the same. What the clearance is over this temperature I have not a clue.

So if you want to use 22.5mm small ends it is up to you.
LI150
Main scooter: Series 2 LI150

Andy Pickering wrote:
Cheers Mate :D BTW did you sell your Stage 4 top end?
Ye mate, Tim ( li150) bought it a while back for the GP he is building I think.

Engine built and currently in my series 2 till gp done. It goes very well... :D
ScooterLoopyJohn
Dealer
Main scooter: 1970 GP 195cc A/F s'type

ScooterLoopyJohn wrote:Kit 77 now running in the XL
alpha crank 60mm 110 rod
dev tour
Mikuni TM 24 thu an air filter system in the tool box
variatronic ign set to 17 when fully reving 6000+
fly wheel weight increased to 2.2 kgs
Li125 early box with 19 x 47
home made 6 plate clutch

runs well, pulls good , just needs running in.
Changed ign to Bgm 120 stator and indian flywheel, runs strobed at 17 drgs
changed because carb was difficult to set (not normaly so)
Much better will continue running in
graham li
Main scooter: lambretta li 150

Avanti TT3
Avanti TT3, number somewhere around the 100 mark, With 2300 on the clock. Engine built by Ron Moss.
After the running in period, I started opening it up, and soon had a big smile on my face with how it performed, not only on ride outs with club members, with RBs and TS1s but on long runs to five rallies. This weekend I went to Brid by myself, so rode at my own pace, travelled about 40 miles on motorways at between 70 -80 MPH, with the throttle a good half way open. It was a dream to ride with lots of power left to overtake. The economy is as good, if not slightly better than the TS1. The performance i think is slightly faster through the gears, for a standard TS1. The only small negative is oil on the running board from the carboretta over a period of time. By the way i have been running at 3% groundsman oil for about 1600 miles now.
Overall : Big thumbs up!
Twinny
Main scooter: suzuki 185

kit no.67
built this kit in dec 2011 using fresco exhaust ,28mm phbh .and old 4plate clutch
this was built on spanish casings and i could,nt get squish anywhere near even without any base gasket,with a phone call to ron moss about this he said send it back and have 1mm machined off barrel which will make it right (apparently spanish casings can be diffarent)
i declined the offer at this point and decided to run it in first,(dont tell ron but i couldnt run it in at under 45) but managed to keep under 55,i was quite surprised how well it pulled even two up ,so with 750 miles on it time to strip down and have a look at it and get the 1mm off the barrel .
i took barrel to ron ,he looked at it and could,nt believe i had done 750 miles ,there is,nt a mark on it was his reply,left barrel to have machining done and barrel was returned a few days later at no charge(not many dealers like that hey) .
engine rebuilt with squish right now and a mate pulls up and offers me money for the scooter and was sold ,this engine has now covered 4500 miles ,kelso 800 mile round trip ,three times to yorkshire 550 miles round trip 3 times plus local runs,asking whats it like he said it would,nt go up hills without changing gear so he changed exhaust for jl3 and reckons it pulls like a train upto 80ish and really responsive top end but bottom end a bit sluggish through towns
i think i have to get another kit
simplex

Hi Kit 99 did its first few miles last night on the way home.. very boggy ..
delorto 30 PHBH
50 pilot
AV266
x13 (2nd from Top)
122 main
Franspeed race
LI 150 box (italien) 4.8

Cant set it to idle properly.
As a note I have always found my scoots have issues similar to this when using the AV266 - mid range boggyness -and usually change them to an AS264, which I find is much crisper in the lower rev range.. this with a worn and a new PHBH.

Anyone have something similar previously.

Regards
OAP
Dealer

BIT LIKE WAITING FOR A BUS :fb:
Andy Pickering
Main scooter: GP

OAP wrote:BIT LIKE WAITING FOR A BUS :fb:
Lol..:grin:

Ricspeed, gone but never forgotten RIP my friend #59
Adam_Winstone
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

simplex wrote:Hi Kit 99 did its first few miles last night on the way home.. very boggy ..
delorto 30 PHBH
50 pilot
AV266
x13 (2nd from Top)
122 main
Franspeed race
LI 150 box (italien) 4.8

Cant set it to idle properly.
As a note I have always found my scoots have issues similar to this when using the AV266 - mid range boggyness -and usually change them to an AS264, which I find is much crisper in the lower rev range.. this with a worn and a new PHBH.

Anyone have something similar previously.

Regards

First thing to do, check with Ron to see what jetting he is recommending. Rich on the first few miles isn't a bad thing, you can always work weaker with testing to ensure that you don't go too weak.

On a standard (non Avanti TT3) kit, running static ignition systems, I would normally suggest that you used an X7 needle with an AV266 needle on an open mouthed 30mm PHBH as the X13 with AV266 would be boggy low down. You also don't state what slide you are using, which would affect low running and pickup greatly. I assume that you are using a 40 slide?

Adam

PS - Watch out for swapping between AV and AS needles as the different atomiser length/height will have a dramatic affect on rich/weak so you might be better considering a change to an AS264 as a double weakening, 1 for smaller diameter + 1 for longer atomiser. You might be better changing one step at a time, i.e. AV264 or AS266.... or change the needle.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information