Ron Moss - Avanti TT3 - Cylinder Kit - Review & Test.....

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Andy Pickering
Main scooter: GP

Im running a SIL crank with uprated jap bearing Adam
Ricspeed, gone but never forgotten RIP my friend #59
rosscla
Main scooter: Lambretta

Rebuild the MEC with a decent jap rod?
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better."
Pmd
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

Pmd wrote:Hi , Number 62 is up and running here in Australia. Setup is
Pilot 50
AV266
NeedleX7 2nd clip
40 Slide
125 Main
Augusto 6000
Ron Moss Clubman
LTH Reed (yes it does fit) except I can't fit an air filter on it as is too close to panel.
Tried a Camlam Breath Sweet but no room.
Will cut a hole in panel as have to have filter, this is a dusty country !
Now to run it in. 800 miles :cry:
Have done 320 kms now (200 miles) Found it was very rich at small throttle openings (four stroking) and when your running it in you are using small throttle openings ! Changed to top clip pos but made no noticable difference
Now using X13 needle 2nd clip with AV264
Now much more throttle responsive and friendlier to ride.
What jetting are others running with a reed ?
Adam_Winstone

Pmd wrote:
Pmd wrote:Hi , Number 62 is up and running here in Australia. Setup is
Pilot 50
AV266
NeedleX7 2nd clip
40 Slide
125 Main
Augusto 6000
Ron Moss Clubman
LTH Reed (yes it does fit) except I can't fit an air filter on it as is too close to panel.
Tried a Camlam Breath Sweet but no room.
Will cut a hole in panel as have to have filter, this is a dusty country !
Now to run it in. 800 miles :cry:
Have done 320 kms now (200 miles) Found it was very rich at small throttle openings (four stroking) and when your running it in you are using small throttle openings ! Changed to top clip pos but made no noticable difference
Now using X13 needle 2nd clip with AV264
Now much more throttle responsive and friendlier to ride.
What jetting are others running with a reed ?

Is there not enough room to run the standard GP airhose and then a remote filter off the end of this?
Pmd

[/quote]Is there not enough room to run the standard GP airhose and then a remote filter off the end of this?[/quote]

No There was only about 20mm between carb mouth and panel. Anyway the deed is done, the hole is cut !
Dimitrios_231

eden wrote:I know they are expensive but after all the failed cranks I've had in the past I went for the JB super corsa in mine and it has/is lasting well considering the grief it gets.
its not often I recommend anything for a Lambretta but I recommend these!
Same here,
JB super corsa crank worths every penny.
mick1
Main scooter: Li Avanti 225

Just returned from Arnhem (from york), now done close to 1300 miles. The only "problem" i found was the cruising speed of 48 - 55 didn't suit the 4:6. 1 gearing. The wind was a major factor and in fourth the engine didn't like the cruising speed and wouldn't pull away. If i used 3rd to take it to 55 the engine would easily pull over 60 but when rolling along at 50ish and trying to accelerate proved difficult. Not sure if the 124 main is too big ?

On a full tank into a headwind for 30 mile and i went onto reserve. As it was only 30 mile i didn't realise it was the fuel and pulled over and checked the plug.....lovely colour !!.......i also held the plug in my fingers !!!!!! The engine was very cool and i was amazed at how cool the plug was...after stripping the carb' i then realised i was on reserve and went merrily on my way !!
Lambretta Sash
Dealer
Main scooter: Lambretta TV 230

Hi Mick1,

Were you the chap i spoke to at the Lions run ?

Tried the Avanti for the Dutch lions run and found mainly sat at 50-55mph giving similar mpg return to the TS1 that was with me, however it would sit comfortably at 50 mph and hesitated above half throttle. I did drop it down to 3rd for some maneuvers to gain speed as it would not accelerate in top gear using 4.6 ratio with Franspeed pipe.

Any news on the X4 needle ?
mick1
Main scooter: Li Avanti 225

Lambretta Sash wrote:Hi Mick1,

Were you the chap i spoke to at the Lions run ?

Tried the Avanti for the Dutch lions run and found mainly sat at 50-55mph giving similar mpg return to the TS1 that was with me, however it would sit comfortably at 50 mph and hesitated above half throttle. I did drop it down to 3rd for some maneuvers to gain speed as it would not accelerate in top gear using 4.6 ratio with Franspeed pipe.

Any news on the X4 needle ?
Probably ?? spoke to a "knowledegble" lad from Lowestoft if that's you ?

I seem to think the Avanti would cruise better at nearer 60mph than 50mph. I seemed to fill up more when doing 50 - 55 (compared to a TS1 with us) and fill up less when closer to 60mph. I found dropping to 3rd a bit more gave better results (GPS 58 in 3rd) but was a bit of a pain.

Spoke to RM and he thinks it is a needle problem on the PHBH and is close to a result....

Well happy with the kit though....can't get over how cool the plug was.....
Lambretta Sash
Dealer
Main scooter: Lambretta TV 230

That is i,

You were lucky to leave on the Saturday, as 3 scooters were stolen during the night by that corner through the gate!!

After getting home, I have tried the AV264 with X13 and power jet but seems to run lean at low openings, looking back i had it running better with 110mm rod on std crank with this set up.

I'll try modifying the X7 needle down to 2.49 and then 2.48mm and see what that does over weekend, if no joy i'll take it apart and replace the crank with 60 x 110 full circle type which i had intended originally.

Hopefully i'll get where i want it performance wise for the Lincoln rally :)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information