Unable to start series 2

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
andy summers

Hi,
Looking for some advice please.......Just finishing restoring my late li150 s2 and cant get it to start.

I've Added a new 12v electronic ignition kit ( new CDI etc) mb simplified loom.
I've kept the original innocenti handle bar light switch, headset junction box, front and rear light bulb holders and kill switch. Changed all bulbs to 12v ones and replaced front light earth wire to run from bulb holder to gear rod stirrup. Also replaced rear light earth wire for new one.

I am getting a spark and the plug is wet, I've checked the choke is lifting properly as well. I've removed rubber air filter and there is fuel in there and kicked over with the filter removed too, still no joy. so I'm thinking that I'm some how earthing the scoot as the reason for it not starting?!!

In terms of wiring I have
Loom- black, brown (with grey joined with a separate bullet connector) and green.
Switch- blue, red, yellow, White( may actually be grey!?) brown, black, purple and an extra long White wire which splits off on it's own from the sleeving. I'm assuming this goes down to the horn.
Kill switch- green

I've got the blue, red and yellow ( and a White earth) in the bulb holder
In the headset junction I have connected the following;
Loom green with kill switch green
blacks with speedo bulb holder
Loom Brown and light switch brown and purple
White light switch junctioned with a new length of wire down to horn.

So my questions are .....
1. Am I heading down the right route that I'm earthing the scoot as I'm trying to kick over??
2. What is the extra long White wire that splits off from the light switch used for ?
3.if not electrical what other things should I be looking at?
4.It was originally a battery model, are non battery handlebar Light switches different to battery??

Any help appreciated, it's doing my head in!
Dazza
Main scooter: S3 LI Rapido 225

First thing - forget all the wiring except - white,green and red from stator into cdi, leave all other wires alone - especially the green from loom into cdi.

that will eliminate one potential problem.
If it aint broke.........tinker with it.....
andy summers

Dazza wrote:First thing - forget all the wiring except - white,green and red from stator into cdi, leave all other wires alone - especially the green from loom into cdi.

that will eliminate one potential problem.

Dazza not sure I understand .....do you mean try and kick over with green from loom removed from cdi?
Bofs
Main scooter: Zundapp Betta 500

Yes
Muffspeed....no muff too tuff
Bad Samaritans SC

1957 Zundapp Betta 500 Auto
1966 Motovespa Sprint 210 Polossi
1960 Lambretta Cutdown 205 Project
andy summers

Bofs wrote:Yes

Cheers bofs

as you can tell im useless with electrics.......will this eliminate problems with loom, junction box etc if it still doesnt start?
tonydevon
Main scooter: '71 GP125

maybe Im a bit noobie to scooters, but from my understanding, theres a spark, theres fuel, if theres compression then the only reason that it wont go would be timing??

I know nothing about the electronic conversions, but is it possible that youve mounted it wrongly?

try changing the plug, I have had a large number of plugs, all NGK as it goes, that would spark just fine outside the engine, but under compression they did nothing, I spent ages on a big kwak 4 pot trying to sort problems, 4 brand new spark plugs, out of them 4, only 1 was any good, out of desperation I threw the manky oiled up old ones in, and boom it started
heavy is good, heavy is reliable, and if it does fail, hit them with it!!!
Muppet
Main scooter: SX 150 running in

Put your best running shoes on Find a steep hill and with the ignition and choke both on run like F##k with the scooter down said hill; jump on the scooter select second gear dump the clutch and if it starts up ride it back home; :-)

muppet,
C’est la vie
andy summers

tonydevon wrote:maybe Im a bit noobie to scooters, but from my understanding, theres a spark, theres fuel, if theres compression then the only reason that it wont go would be timing??

I know nothing about the electronic conversions, but is it possible that youve mounted it wrongly?

try changing the plug, I have had a large number of plugs, all NGK as it goes, that would spark just fine outside the engine, but under compression they did nothing, I spent ages on a big kwak 4 pot trying to sort problems, 4 brand new spark plugs, out of them 4, only 1 was any good, out of desperation I threw the manky oiled up old ones in, and boom it started

I've set the timing to 19 degrees ( on advice from dealer).
I used tdc tool and timing disc. I plan to strobe it to make sure, but can't I only do this once the scoot is running?

Will try different plugs as well.
Bofs
Main scooter: Zundapp Betta 500

Was it running ok before you added the electronic etc?

Bore could be shagged. Has it got much compression or does the kickstart go down easily with hand pressure?
Muffspeed....no muff too tuff
Bad Samaritans SC

1957 Zundapp Betta 500 Auto
1966 Motovespa Sprint 210 Polossi
1960 Lambretta Cutdown 205 Project
cgt75b
Main scooter: lambretta

Are you running through standard series 2 airbox ? what carb are you using ? If it was earthing out you would'nt be getting a spark !
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information