suzuki kit conrod choice

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
tavspeed

hi all,any thoughts on the best conrod for a suzuki 225/230,i am looking at a vespa ape at £60,or a ke175 for the same money,was told the kawasaki rod will fit the lambretta webs without any machining,the big end width is 15mm,the ape is 15.6mm,,i think the kwaka rod is a pattern part,cheers all.
tarmac tickler

if your using the suzuki ts 250 piston 70mm they have a pin size of 18mm, i,m sure the kwaka rod is for a 16mm pin, although they will fit straight on the lammy webs, the vespa ape rod is the one to use , i have one in my sprinter using said piston to great effect
Muppet
Main scooter: SX 150 running in

Go Ape you know you want to,

muppet,
C’est la vie
storkfoot
Main scooter: '70 GP150 [TS1 225]

I've got Indian GP webs with a KE175 conrod in my TS1. The webs did not need machining but the Kawasaki pin did. There was room to fit thrust washers.
tavspeed

ok ape it is,next question,with the 110 rod,i believe the cylinder doesnt need top and tailing 3mm to suit the suzuki crown,height,but does the piston need 3mm taken off the skirt for clearance at bdc,cheers all
tavspeed

hi all,managed to get a ape rod for £35,have got a suzuki 70mm ts250 piston for £30,so upto press i have :-

200 engine with indian crank,200 cast barrel on last oversize -garage of plenty
sx 200 gearbox,xmas tree will need a bush repair on one end -favour for a favour
piston,windows to cut, take 3mm off bottom - £30, machining by myself aperod -£35
fit rod to indian crank and tig pin have a go myself
new bearings and seals £80
rebore conversionand reprofile head £65 beedspeed
carb pwk 24mm garage of plenty
taffspeed exhaust current engine
ignition current engine
mb reed reed valve £130

so at the moment upto £340

at the moment i am running a rapido 250,35 tmx,taffspeed exhaust,does 40-45mpg,
i am going to run the suzuki with a reed vave next year for a change,and hoping for a torquey,reliable,frugal,kit 70-80mpg.
if funds permit a bgm stator £80
egt gauge £120 to warn of any heat seizing (might walkerize barrel and piston as explained by special x)
after a succesful running in period,maybe barrel off to mick abbey for a touring tune.,if it goes ok leave alone

bearing in mind a gallon of petrol is approx £7.50 with the oil,this kit could pay for itself in a season,will let you all know how i get on,cheers all.
AUSSIE

Tavspeed, can you tell us where you get an ape conrod for £35?

storkfoot, what machining did you have to do to the pin? was it too long?
storkfoot
Main scooter: '70 GP150 [TS1 225]

AUSSIE wrote:
storkfoot, what machining did you have to do to the pin? was it too long?
Yes, just too long. I had it done at Grampian in Liverpool about a year back. From memory the big end was 15mm wide.
tavspeed

got rod off lad on ebay who had sold a few for around £30,pm'dhim and he had one left £35 quid posted he wanted.
they come upoccasionally so keep a eye out,chiselspeed are getting some in soon,i think they sell them for £60 quid.
going to have a think about the reed valve as mb say the ts piston isnt the strongest piston to put windows in.
soullad
Dealer

if you are doing the crank yourself don't forget to grind a lubrication slot in the big end eye .......
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information