JBL hub bearings anyone?

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
donlambretto

Hi there,
When I rebuilt my IKEA S2 winter Li 150 (bought it in boxes with no instructions...) it came wit a nice mecEur box which contained an indian bearing of unknown origin. It had almost no play so I fitted it.

After 300 miles and 2 seals I am brake-less again. Seals fails by the inner lip so I guess it's play.
No one seems to stock the RIV as they're out of stock, and in S2 servetas other makes give shimming problems as far as I know.

I've got 2 options
-One used old stock original serveta one from a S3 special, absolutely no play
-And I bought an original SIL bearing from SR but it came in a JBL bag. I've been assured it's the real thing SIL use.
Anybody had problems with these? I prefer fitting the serveta old one as it has less play than the new JBL one unless you recommend me another option
Best regards and thank you

Robert
Cheers from Spain
Robert
(in fleet reorganization)
scooterslag

Hello Robert, I would fit the old Serveta bearing chap, at least you know it works and still probably out live the new Indian bearing despite being a lot older. Paul
The mack daddy on the left!
gaz_powell

kiss of death before brid but .............i`ve had a JBL back hub bearing from SR in my TS1 SX for years - it was the only new bearing you could get hold of at the time before all the remade original types came out (casa etc)

I have a spare on the shelf and would fit another one tomorrow........ but hopefully i wont have to.

This is my personal experience - I can only speak as i find.

best of luck
donlambretto

Thank you so much for your replies.
I suppose the JBL is the one currently fitted as OEM in bog standard SIL engines (and mine have been on for 14 years and 3000 miles), but I will be fitting the serveta instead, just being over-cautious, and will leave the JBL as a spare for my Lynx when the casa one gets play (now 200 miles old)

Cheers from Spain
Robert
Cheers from Spain
Robert
(in fleet reorganization)
shocky

i have never bought a new rear hub bearing in 30yrs ive always used ones from italian/spanish engines never had a problem as long as there clean run free and have no movement i recently gave away about 20 good away, from various manufacturers inc RIV SKF AND SOME UNMARKED ,some were Italian made some Spanish some Russian some french and some Yugoslavian
with having a selection i was able to get my endplate shim to the correct clearance as well as some were slightly different to others in thickness
We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information