Shudders when braking.

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Astroboy
Main scooter: Lambretta GP 200

I have a Scootrs outboard disc on my S1, with a 186 Casa kit and just added progressive springs. . When braking, it shudders, but there's no play in forks and all the lugs/spindles are seated properly. Is this the brake just grabbing too hard, or is there another problem I should be looking at?

Also, dumb question, but why is a disc brake superior to a drum brake? Surely stopping is stopping as far as the tyres are concerned.

cheers,
mark

Has it been used before or a fresh install of new parts?
Used parts and its probaly pads wearing out new and your disc is warped if it's not your steering bearings
coaster

Astroboy wrote:I have a Scootrs outboard disc on my S1, with a 186 Casa kit and just added progressive springs. . When braking, it shudders, but there's no play in forks and all the lugs/spindles are seated properly. Is this the brake just grabbing too hard, or is there another problem I should be looking at?

Also, dumb question, but why is a disc brake superior to a drum brake? Surely stopping is stopping as far as the tyres are concerned.

cheers,
You could also try cleaning the pads and disc in case you have some grease on them. Disc brakes are superior due to better cooling and the fact that dirt and water is flung off the brake rather than gathering insiide the drum. Also, the hydraulic operation applies greater leverage than cable operation. I agree though that IF you can set up a drum brake correctly there will be less obvious difference betwee the two.
Astroboy
Main scooter: Lambretta GP 200

It's a new disc set-up. I'll replace the bearings & see what happens
simplex

i had this a couple of times ...and it wasn't the disk set up.. it turned out to be slightest play in the forks.. shuddered under braking .. undid them and found many of the bearings (top) had split in half.!.. replaced them with some loose bearings from a local cycle shop and have been ok for 1yr+.. probably doesn't answer your question though as you don't have any play..
irv1

play in the link or spring but if you have dampers fitted check the rubber bush when the bush breaks down it will cause bounce between the shock and sprin,a warped disc will fell like a pulse at slow speed
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information