Killing spark plugs ...why ??

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
daveh

During IOW my TS1 was eating spark plugs like there was not tomorrow ?!

What seemed to happen was all was fine on the open road, then hit slower traffic for a bit, then just before turning off it dies, or just fails to restart...dead. Both times needed to change the spark plugs to get the scoot going again. It seemed as if the spark plug stopped producing a spark, the plug was not particularly fouled but even with a quick clean...still dead. Miles ridden between 1st and 2nd spark plug changes ~ 10 !

Any ideas on why the spark plugs are dying and fail to produce a spark? Another lad had similar problems and changed plugs twice also ? - was beginning to suspect fuel...but other untuned scoots in our group were ok.

I was running on middle of the road 8ES plugs.

I need to ditch my centre plug head the way things are going, as each plug change is a pain in the ass operation ....drop suspension etc.

Any help appreciated.
bristolmod
Main scooter: Lambretta TV175 S3- what else!
Location: Bali-Hai bar, Locarno Ballroom Bristol, 1967!- mines a Brown Split!!

microscopic metallic deposits shorting out plug??

Which could indicate something serious within the top end......

Chris
Scootering since 1968.
daveh

bristolmod wrote:microscopic metallic deposits shorting out plug??

Which could indicate something serious within the top end......

Chris
Could be, thanks I will have a closer look and report back.
DaveTomo
Main scooter: SX 200

ignition pick up breaking down? whilst your changing the plug it has time to cool down (dropping the damper etc.) 10 miles warmed up again then kaput.
If you've still got the plugs try them in another scooter if you can,to see if they work OK,it may be something to consider if theres no sign of detonation on the piston head or the plugs.
I am playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order.
eibargum
Main scooter: Vespa PX210 Polini

Ive had a couple NGKs fail for no good reason, i was told the chinese are making fakes, wether that is true or not i dont know, but after switching to Nippon Denso,s i,v had no problems.
byron
Main scooter: Li Special; scarred,but sound

yep, seem to be lots of fake NGKs out there
there was a video on youtube on how to spot them, but the makers might be wise to that now and are producing better copies...
So, as said, try a known good plug, and/or those plugs in another scooter
dapper
Main scooter: The Biriani Bullet

eibargum wrote:Ive had a couple NGKs fail for no good reason, i was told the chinese are making fakes, wether that is true or not i dont know, but after switching to Nippon Denso,s i,v had no problems.
What he said^^^^^
Compact Toolbox Flywheel Holder
daveh

Cheers, must be fakes , checked for metal particles and they look clean, plug dead in another scoot also....might try the Nippon or Champion alternatives for a while and see if that solves the problem.
carlos fandango

Yep ! never use NGK as they seem to fail for no apparent reason :? only use Champions , but not as easy to get at dealers , so when i see some i always buy a couple ;)
When i was young my Mom said "if you haven't got anything nice to say, say nothing at all " ..................... and people wonder why I'm quiet around them !
dirtyhandslopez

carlos fandango wrote:Yep ! never use NGK as they seem to fail for no apparent reason :? only use Champions , but not as easy to get at dealers , so when i see some i always buy a couple ;)
Have been instructing my customers to use Champion since day one. The electrode protrudes a little further into the combustion chamber. They are also what I see recommended in al the tech books from the 50/60/70's etc.
Same thing here with the dealers, all they want to sell is NGK's.
The problem comes when changing between NGK and Champion, ie I know an N3 is a cold Champion plug, but the number go the other way with NGK, so an 8 is is cold plug,(the no.s go bigger when colder, just one more thing to have to remember). Add that to the fact that when you go to an automotive place to buy a plug, the desk person may cross reference across the wrong lin in the book and thereby the customer might end up with the wrong plug and bam! heat sieze.
Stick with the one, the only one, Champion...
That's not going anywhere...
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information