all metal worm drive ( problem)

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
jamjo
Main scooter: gp 150/ 225

hello , dont know if any one has any advice on this . my mates worm drive set up was really worn so decided to fit a new all metal one from dealer. we followed stickys book and ground off the old nylon drive and then the thin metal sleeve which was on there as well . the metal one was a loose fit so we have loctited it to the splindle . the problem is when we have put it all back to together and put in the shaft part of the worm drive ( sorry dont know the real name) when turning the weel it just jambs up ant wont go round . has any one any advice on what we have done wrong . ha wants to sort it for the iow and is running in an engine so want it working to keep track of milage and speed

thanks if you can understand this post and can help with advice
regards james
eibargum
Main scooter: Vespa PX210 Polini

Is this on a ScootRS disc by any chance.
soosh
Main scooter: GP RS200 Iron barrel

I had this problem but just thought i damaged it but couldn't see where,I put standard nylon one on in the end which works fine and will do for years.
carlos fandango

have you tried loosening the brass retaining nut thingy ? The part that the speedo cable attaches to ? This sometimes traps the speedo drive if its slightly to big ?
Russ
When i was young my Mom said "if you haven't got anything nice to say, say nothing at all " ..................... and people wonder why I'm quiet around them !
soulsurfer

I've not had any problems with the MB ones, but sometimes they need a washer at the end of the worm drive spindle, I always lap them in with grinding paste too.
Turn On, Tune In, Cop out!
byron
Main scooter: Li Special; scarred,but sound

I fitted a new metal hub drive & worm to an original Italian disc recently, needed a fair amount of fettling for the two to mesh without sticking, which is bit of a chore, dismantling it, taking a bit off where necessary, reassembling it, several times over...
It does work fine now though.
I think I did end up using a washer on the end of the worm drive as suggested above.
I did need to loctite the drive to the hub.
I have used a nylon hub part with a metal worm in mine for 000s of miles, I think the nylon is more forgiving if the two don't match up so well... [ie it gets chewed up a bit, and finds its place...]
soosh

Still sh1t for new parts though,bet the supplier never said you had to use a washer when you ordered it.
soulsurfer

Mine came with washer and instructions...
http://www.lambrettaspares.com/spares/f ... 0088s.html
Turn On, Tune In, Cop out!
soosh

Your lucky,mine didnt.
handofdave
Main scooter: li ts1

soosh wrote:Still sh1t for new parts though,bet the supplier never said you had to use a washer when you ordered it.
thats typical with most parts though
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information