af rayspeed tubeless rims

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
jimmers

Had s83 tyres mounted to my sip rims by hand and 1 lever in 5 minutes
not a problem. Same guy refused to fit tyres to the af rims I originally had.

Sip rims fit perfect. Af rims I did not like cos Of massive gap around locating area
CPH Lambretta
Main scooter: DL 150 1970

I bought a pair of the AF rims and wanted to have a pair of Raceman tyres fitted to them. I tried 2 places that were used to fitting tyres to autos and had all the equipment but they couldn't get them on. So I tried a 3rd place, I couldn't see him fitting them in the workshop I could just hear 2 big bangs when they went on. He said the tyre well was far too shallow and he wouldn't give me a receipt and he said there was no guarantee. I asked what he meant by that and he just said "No guarantee".
I didn't like the sound of that so I deflaited both tyres to check them and they were both ripped behind the lip of the rim, nothing that could be seen without deflaiting the tyre. So 2 f@@ked tyres, they weren't ripped all the way through ,but enough so that I didn't fell safe useing them.
I tried fitting the tyres and rims to the scoot just to see what they would look like and found the rims to be a very loose fit on the hubs (Scootrs disc on front/uni hub on back) I could push them a few mm in any direction. I thought this might give a problem with vibration with the rim running off center .
So 2 f@@ked tyres (you could say this was the fitters fault) and 2 rims that aren't really a very good design. I think AF made them a loose fit on the hubs so they were sure they would fit any hub.
As far as I can see the SIP and AF rims are the same in the area around the studs, its just that SIP could see there wasn't very much thread to get hold of so they supply longer studs. AF just didn't bother.
Correct me if I'm wrong on that.
Slow is the new fast!
mark

the sip one fit perfectly to the hub shoulders and are thicker (hence the longer studs) in th mounting points to allow for a deeper well to aid tyre fitting
SIP Tubeless rim by mark & anne's photos, on Flickr
tubeless lambretta rim by mark & anne's photos, on Flickr
tubeless lambretta rim (5) by mark & anne's photos, on Flickr
CPH Lambretta
Main scooter: DL 150 1970

Thanks for putting me right on that Mark :oops:
Slow is the new fast!
mark

lol just dont want anyone wasting there money on stuff that is only half thought out, like i have
RICSPEED

i really hope sip bring out a wide version
Its in bits scooter club: www.facebook.com/groups/132415046859320
frank sanderson
Dealer

Can someone tell me how far the longer stud on the SIP rim sticks out from the flange where the rim bolts on please .I am redesigning our billet hubs to accept SIP rims and I need to be able to supply them with longer bolts to suit .
ta
rocho68
Dealer

If theres a problem then what are af rayspeed saying about them ,surely they tested fitment before selling on the open market ?
RICSPEED

rocho68 wrote:If theres a problem then what are af rayspeed saying about them ,surely they tested fitment before selling on the open market ?
i spoke to them in the shop but they insist the gap is not a problem despite me telling them a lot of people are put off by it
Its in bits scooter club: www.facebook.com/groups/132415046859320
rocho68
Dealer

RICSPEED wrote:
rocho68 wrote:If theres a problem then what are af rayspeed saying about them ,surely they tested fitment before selling on the open market ?
i spoke to them in the shop but they insist the gap is not a problem despite me telling them a lot of people are put off by it
What gap are we actually talkin about ? Thought the problem was the tyres wouldnt go on ?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information