Imola won't start advice / suggestions please

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
10 inch Terror
Xbox live gamer tag: No.
Playstation gamer tag: PLEASE!
Main scooter: Lambretta LI Imola 185

Hi all, I have a problem with my Imola powered scoot, can anyone point me in the right direction. It was sat for a couple of weeks whilst some new parts were ordered for the clutch. I fitted them put it all back together and it started first kick. I took it for a blast around the block and all was fine, but as i pulled up outside my house it died, so i kicked it back up and it fired and died again and would not start no matter what. I took the carb off ( mikuni TM 28 ) and it was very oily, so i thought the oil had sunk to the bottom of the tank and that was the problem. I cleaned the carb out and drained the tank and re mixed the fuel by giving it a good shake and tried again, it will fire up but only for a second then die. I have checked the spark and it is fine, i have tried it with the green wire disconnected to eliminate the ignition switch. The plug does seem to be very wet with fuel when i take it out. Can anyone give me any clues as to what the problem is? Thanks in advance Pete.
10 inch Terror

I have kicked it over with my hand over the carb and fuel pours out of it, I'm thinking it could be the reeds? Anyone? Cheers Pete.
dapper
Main scooter: The Biriani Bullet

Mate had a similar problem with a TS1 kit in France last year. Could get it to start but would not rev and loads of spitback out the carb. Stripped top end and one of the reeds was loose and both screws had disappeared. Luckily, one had embedded itself in cylinder head, and the other fell out of the cylinder when tipped upside down. No damage to nikasil or piston :o Replaced with Loctited in screws and all was OK
Compact Toolbox Flywheel Holder
10 inch Terror

I have just taken off the reed block and the reeds seem fine with no damage and the screws are all tight. Any other suggestions please. I don't really want to strip the top end unless it's absolutely necessary. Cheers Pete
WINTERMODEL150
Main scooter: lambretta ld auto

Hi,is the spark nice and blue?

Dean
10 inch Terror

Hi Dean, if i'm honest the spark seems pretty weak but it's no worse than it used to be and it always started really well. It's the fuel pouring out of the carb that concerns me most. Cheers Pete
handofdave
Main scooter: li ts1

had this problem with cheap cdi,weakish spark when checking but would not fire under compression,new ducati cdi solved my probs
worth a thought
tea5ive
Main scooter: cometa 140

10 inch Terror wrote:Hi Dean, if i'm honest the spark seems pretty weak but it's no worse than it used to be and it always started really well. It's the fuel pouring out of the carb that concerns me most. Cheers Pete

float stuck and flooding ?
jimmo
Main scooter: Lambretta GP TS1 230 JB

handofdave wrote:had this problem with cheap cdi,weakish spark when checking but would not fire under compression,new ducati cdi solved my probs
worth a thought
Same here,
When the plug was removed from the head had a spark and checked that I had fuel - ok.

When the plug was back in the head, it would run - only just.

Whipped my mates CDI unit off and plugged it in. Job done.

Its seems that under load the CDI was on its way out.

I always carry a spare CDI now!!
10 inch Terror

Thanks very much for taking the time to reply and trying to help Guys. I stripped the top end down and everything is fine with that. It does fire up and run but only for a few seconds and it won't rev up. I purchased the CDI from MB so i'm sure it's a genuine Ducati item and not a cheapo one, but i guess even Ducati ones can go wrong. I think the problem is electrical so i will swap the CDI for one thats know to be good and take it from there. Many thanks again. Pete
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information