Which Franspeed pipe do I go for?

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
jimmo
Main scooter: Lambretta GP TS1 230 JB

I'm in a bit of a dilema!,
Just got my TS1 back from JB having had the following done.

Stage 2 porting on cylinder and casings
Super Monza Piston
60mm Corsa Crank
Recessed AF head
Cylinder replate.
New bearings etc.

Almost finished running in.

Before the work was carried out the engine was running 17/46 with an Li150 'box with a Taffy pipe and 35mm Mikuni.

I'm seriously looking at a Franspeed Race TS1 pipe as a replacement but I have doubts that the final drive of 4.6 is suitable.

Do I:
1) Fit a standard Franspeed pipe(JL3) and leave the gearing as is.
or
2)Fit Franspeed Race TS1 pipe and adjust the gearing to suit?

I always ride solo but have a heavy right hand on the throttle!.

What are the pro's and con's of either option??

Comments most welcome.

Jimmo
Muttley McLadd

What sort of exhaust did JB tune it to favour? He's probably the best one to ask.
CakeAndArseParty
jimmo

JB should have a fresh batch of both pipes in early next week so I'll pick his brains then and book in for a dyno session.

I'm interested in opinions on keeping what I've got with the porting work and a jl3 type pipe or do I plump for the racier option which will need changing the gearing/ pipe and hopefully exploiting the porting work that has been done??

Anyone
:wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf:
Muttley McLadd

Which did you ask him to port it for? Porting work isn't random. He'll have designed it to work with something specific. I've never met him, but from postings on here, JB isn't a half wit.
CakeAndArseParty
Stokie

Are you currently using the Taffspeed pipe ?
How does it perform with that on ?
I agree with Muttley and suggest you get the advice of the guy who did the tuning work.
What does Stage 2 porting mean ? - there's no British Standard for cylinder porting so without port sizes, shapes, durations etc there's only one guy really qualified to answer your question.
Muttley McLadd

Stokie wrote: I agree with Muttley
:shocking:

Dodgy path to start down, sir..
CakeAndArseParty
sydduckett

John does like a franspeed, so i suspect he will push you in that direction. Go for the race its a blast... :D and not as revvy as the NK i had on my rb. Mate just got a ss Franspeed tourer from john and he loves it. Reckons he still has the power band as well, but im not so sure.... :o

Im sure GPGaz will be along in a mo to correct me.... :D
Diablo
Dealer

Jim have a look at the scootering test on TS1 pipes. That should give you a good idea.
Knowing you I would say go for the Franspeed Race but your right 4.6 probably wont be suitable.
John will have a good idea before dynoing where the engine will make peak power so will be able to advise you what to change to.
rbgaz
Main scooter: gp rb230 dragster 180lc

sydduckett wrote:John does like a franspeed, so i suspect he will push you in that direction. Go for the race its a blast... :D and not as revvy as the NK i had on my rb. Mate just got a ss Franspeed tourer from john and he loves it. Reckons he still has the power band as well, but im not so sure.... :o

Im sure GPGaz will be along in a mo to correct me.... :D
yes sydd i hav the franspeed ss tourer on my rb and its the best pipe ive had on it engine is really smooth and torqy and yes it still has power band but not like the nk race
jimmo

Diablo wrote:Jim have a look at the scootering test on TS1 pipes. That should give you a good idea.
Knowing you I would say go for the Franspeed Race but your right 4.6 probably wont be suitable.
John will have a good idea before dynoing where the engine will make peak power so will be able to advise you what to change to.

Watcha Al, Of the back of the TS1 pipe test done in Scootering, I have pretty much decided to go with the Franspeed Race which when speaking to Andy Francis said that with the gearing I have it wont pull 4th.

Looks like new crownwheel/front drive sprocket and chain!!

This bike's turning into moneypit!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information