cost of engine rebuild

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
tonydevon
Main scooter: '71 GP125

I have been thinking that maybe I should ride a stock scooter for a bit, to at least get used to it and hopefully get on the road with oine for this summer, rather than biting off a huge lump of building a bike engined one and all the niggling problems that I will come across

a local guy says that Im looking at in the region of £1000 at least to do it properly

so my question is...

how close to the truth is this?

Im not looking at full race spec motors, something reliable and with a bit of get up and go, my potential project(series 2 Li) has a 125 or 150 motor, cant remember which

idea is new crank, bearings, seals etc, a simple 175 top end kit and a new better carb maybe, top of the list tho is a decent exhaust, just love the noise :)

all work done by myself as engine rebuilds are a walk in the park for me, well Im assuming that cant be more complicated than my normal big bike engines etc.

how crucial is it to spend £250 on a crank like hes telling me, compared to the £100 ones I see in the scooter mags.

thanks for any info or opinions
heavy is good, heavy is reliable, and if it does fail, hit them with it!!!
DaveTomo
Main scooter: SX 200

depends really what you're going to put on it after the summer ,I've got a mec eur in a rapido,decent enough about £120,or these aren't supposed to be bad bang for buck wise http://www.scooterrestorations.com/lamb ... d-bearing/ but like I say really depends on your long term plans for it
I am playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order.
soulsurfer

A £120 MEC Black race crank is good enough for most small block kits right up to Imola. Decent bearings and seals are a must, as is a good ignition/lighting set up. As for your choice of kit, there's a wealth of it on here.
Turn On, Tune In, Cop out!
byron
Main scooter: Li Special; scarred,but sound

I rebuilt a series II 150 engine recently
It had been sitting in the corner of a garage for years.
Luckily it was full of nice, quality innocenti parts, so most were cleaned, checked and re-used.
New seals, bearings, gaskets, circlips, springs etc, cheap cast 175 top end and new crank. And fitted an electronic kit. Total bill for parts was about £400.
It's really reliable, economical and sounds just like a lambretta should... he uses it for riding around town, going to the shops etc, so exactly what it was designed for.
byron
Main scooter: Li Special; scarred,but sound

I have been using a black MEC crank in my mugello [which is really low geared, and gets thrashed often] for 15000 miles. It gets checked for trueness when it is out and has never been far out.
It's very easy to overspec your engine, then not actually use all of your money's worth...
LI150
Main scooter: Series 2 LI150

I have been thinking that maybe I should ride a stock scooter for a bit, to at least get used to it and hopefully get on the road with oine for this summer, rather than biting off a huge lump of building a bike engined one and all the niggling problems that I will come across
Build the bike one intrested to see how it would turn out.. :D :D
corrado
Dealer
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

If you're worried about the cost of building a stock motor then you're in for a big shock when it comes to building a bike engined one. :mrgreen:
tonydevon
Main scooter: '71 GP125

Not worried just wondering. Bike engines are far cheaper. I already have a few potential donors.
I was just a bit shocked and apprehensive about using the lammy engine if it was really close to 1000 quid to rebuild it. Looks like it is possible to do it cheaper.
Still a lot to think about.
heavy is good, heavy is reliable, and if it does fail, hit them with it!!!
mickdale

as soulsurfer said - 120 quid mec crank, good bearings and seals and a std electronic kit (use gp crank and ignition)
rear hub bearing may not need changing - they sit in oil and dont spin toooooo fast
good clutch springs
22mm jetex is a cheap carb option?
corrado
Dealer
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

Inners that might need changing ....
clutch, £70
chain, sprockets to suit, £50
chain tensioners, £25
3 bearings, 1 bush, £15
kick star shaft, £30
Top end,
175 kit, £150 (for a decent one)
main bearings, £40
crank, £120
12 volt kit. £150
22mm Jetex and manifold £40
Seals, shims, gaskets, oil, etc.
Plus there's bound to be a few unplanned bits that also need doing / repairing.
So with a few hours labour thrown in it's easy to rack up close on a grand,
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information