sil engine won´t start

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
ROB

:(

brand new engine won´t start.
200cc stage 4, indian big bore, standard 3-ring goetze piston, good compression
have a good spark and tried different new carbs, jetex, amal...as well different spark plugs, cdi´s...
no chance to start the motor...not even with an engine start spray.

now i found out that the carb don´t sucks any petrol in.

the exhaust manifold is a bit leaky inbetween exhaust and u-bend.

but could this be the problem?
essexgp
Main scooter: Indian Gp200 Indian Gp Cutdown

Have you tried getting someone to hold a rag over the inlet to the carb whilst kicking it over, tried this after repeated attempts to start my newly rebuilt engine, worked for me got it to fire and has been alright since.
ROB

yes, i tried this as well....but without success. :(

after every 10th kick i just got a explosion out of the carb.
i also injected some petrol through the inlet manifold and spark plug hole with a syringe...just a cough and a bit of smoke through the exhaust....better than nothing, i know..... :D
Last edited by ROB on Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sean brady scooters
Dealer

using a srynge etc..........squirt a couple of cc,s of petrol (out of tank )directly into carb bore with throttle wide open,.............then kick off (without choke)..............
Sean Brady Scooters - 01765 690 698
Bofs
Main scooter: Zundapp Betta 500

Timing sounds way out
Muffspeed....no muff too tuff
Bad Samaritans SC

1957 Zundapp Betta 500 Auto
1966 Motovespa Sprint 210 Polossi
1960 Lambretta Cutdown 205 Project
Den 08
Main scooter: lambretta Gp 225

i had same problem about 2years ago bought a new sill 200,colors from stator are wrong way round red is brown = brown is red or something like that anyway kicked and kicked 4about 3 fooking nights :shock: thighs like an athlete :lol: put a question on LCGB :oops: sorted it straight away one wire is lighting coil so still had a lovely spark at plug and thats what done me :evil: (just a thought) love those indians :lol: otherwise a very good engine.
Den
no-hair

hi mate, take the carb off and get someone to kick it over and see if there is any suction from inlet manifold , could try ya hand or loo paper and see if it pulls inwards , if not check head gasket some engines have been fitted with a real think round head gasket , swap for standard squareish type , exhaust does need tobe sealed between u bend and clubman box , use exhaust cement and good hose clip or u bolt , this will not be helping . :frog: why you are checking head gasket see if ya have broken ring or rings and that the piston is the right way up . :bird:
ROB

yes, i have this brown wire from the strator which i thought is for the red CDI plug.
...but did you had as well a proper spark with the incorrect wiring?

then i guess that the correct wiring is:

green -->CDI
white -->CDI
brown --> Regulator
yellow -->CDI (into red)

Rings are ok, arrow on piston points at exhaust port.

Will change the wires and check again if there is any suction from inlet manifold.
tavspeed

hi all,check your woodruff key on the crank hasnt sheared and the flywheel has moved relative to the firing points,cheers all.
ROB

i changed the wires and the carb (amal to jetex), sealed the exhaust....and voilà! WORKS! :D

thanks!!!

:bouncyeng:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information