More speed with reliability -£450 budget.

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
immylam

Having just bought a slow lammy I am looking for it to be a bit quicket (70 will do) for a £450 budget.
I have a moneypit malossi vespa that blows up regularly and costs a fortune in petrol to take anywhere so I am looking to keep the lammy mildly standard.
Having not had a lammy on the road for 20 years I am at a loss for what is ok and what it not (I know what is really good - but the prices........)

So what I am looking for is a pipe carb and top end.

I have a Jet 200 standard and it does 55-65 but want a wee bit more.

Have seen an alloy 225 kit for £150 RS I think - any comments

I am not looking to change cranks, clutches or have any work done on casings.

I know folks will differ in opinion but if I get a general feel; for where to waste my cash........
soullad
Dealer

CHEAP RELIABLE FAST

Where Lammies are concerned you cannot have all 3 mate, sorry.
A genuine reliable 70mph on a lambretta takes a decent motor and engine build. The heart of any engine is the crank which you don't want to change... plus alot of reliability issues on lammies are electrical / ignition based? What ignition you running?
If you have a standard 200 lammy that will do a constant 65 reliably then I fail to see how you can improve on that?
coaster

immylam wrote:I have a Jet 200 standard and it does 55-65 but want a wee bit more.

Have seen an alloy 225 kit for £150 RS I think - any comments
Firstly, I doubt very much that you are getting a TRUE 65 mph out of your Jet 200, if that was paced by a car then it will be out by around 5 mph and if you are going by the Lambretta speedo then if could be far worse. Getting a ghenuine 70 mph from a Lambretta will involve changing other components as Soulad mentioned. BUT, if you just want it to go a bit quicker than it already does then the Ally 225 route is a viable option if bought from a reputable source and carefully run in.
scootRS.com
Dealer

A decent tuned exhaust can be had for £70 or so. A 30mm PWK carb kit with manifold for the same. New cylinder if you want, but before buying make sure your squish is set properly and good compression. Maybe you just need a new piston and the head done?

Should be decent like that to start anyway.
soosh
Main scooter: GP RS200 Iron barrel

SIL barrel which has been check for correct bore clearence.
Bigbore pipe,an AF one will do.
28/30 PHBH Dellorto.
This setup is cheap as chips.You should hit 70mph with this and will be reliable,as long as everything else is ok and its put together properly.You should have some change left as well ;)
Booby

[quote="scootRS.com"]A decent tuned exhaust can be had for £70 or so.

Tried a set up like that once. Snapped in half.
Mind you made it easy to put in the bin :( Quality works out cheaper in the long run.
Who holds the scooterotica Key.....Dan does! ;0)
shocky

scootRS.com wrote:A decent tuned exhaust can be had for £70 or so. A 30mm PWK carb kit with manifold for the same. New cylinder if you want, but before buying make sure your squish is set properly and good compression. Maybe you just need a new piston and the head done?

Should be decent like that to start anyway.
is the "or so" in the £70 the shipping and import tax :lol: which will prob make it around £120. i wonder if you can recommend a seller of such item ive heard sterling do a nice one :idea:
We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm
immylam

ok , some good things here so a pwk carb , a rs225 alloy kit and an exhaust could come in at about £400

If it doesn't do a genuine 70 I'll settle for keeping up with standard P2's. When I said 55-65 it is 55-60 on good straight roads and 65 down steep long hills head down , that is all on the lammy speedo though.

Still even at those speeds I smiled all the 220 miles home from Scarborough yesterday and my neighbours were astounded to see me get home without an AA lorry reversing down the street.

What exhaust can fit with rear runners?
Andy Pickering
Main scooter: GP

As your on tight budget think about going the 2nd hand route...but stay clear of e bay..place a wanted on here and see what comes up..theres some good gear comes through here for the price of new tat.

Imo a decent tune good piston 2nd hand 30mm dellorto say £50-60 and good 2nd hand exhaust say £100 will give you what your looking for and bring you in under budget and give you a nice ride..
Ricspeed, gone but never forgotten RIP my friend #59
soullad
Dealer

immylam - think about exactly how you want to achieve your desired speed - is it by fitting a bigger carb / expansion which will increase the revs and use more fuel plus wear out / compromise your engine internals all in one go, esp the orig Li crank.
Or do you want to inc your torque and use a smaller carb with a traditional clubman type exhaust and thus pull taller gearing, keeping the revs / fuel consumption / maintenance down?
Don't rule out the 25mm dellorto or the TMX 24, nor the Classic Rapido barrel. All relatively cheap and tried and tested.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information