MB digital speedo

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
10 inch Terror
Xbox live gamer tag: No.
Playstation gamer tag: PLEASE!
Main scooter: Lambretta LI Imola 185

Whats the story with these speedos do they work ok? I seem to remember a few people having teething trouble with them. Have any issues been resolved? I have had loads of things from MB and have never had any problems with quality ect so i'm not having a dig, i just wanted an unbiased opinion. Any comments very welcome. Thanks Pete.
Andy Pickering
Main scooter: GP

The teething problems where mainly due to people error as far as im aware..any odd units that slipped the net and where faulty have either been replaced or are awaiting replacement..
Ricspeed, gone but never forgotten RIP my friend #59
Toddy
Main scooter: Lambretta Series 1

10 inch Terror wrote:Whats the story with these speedos do they work ok? I seem to remember a few people having teething trouble with them. Have any issues been resolved? I have had loads of things from MB and have never had any problems with quality ect so i'm not having a dig, i just wanted an unbiased opinion. Any comments very welcome. Thanks Pete.
Pete i got one of the second batch which was giving me dodgy readings , spoke to Mark at MB took me through sonme fault finding excercises before deeming the unit faulty , returned to him for full refund or replacement, order got my new one last week but as yet not tried it , excellent cutomer service tho as always :D
As my Dad used to say "Each to their own lad"
10 inch Terror
Xbox live gamer tag: No.
Playstation gamer tag: PLEASE!
Main scooter: Lambretta LI Imola 185

Thanks Guys, like i said i have never had any problems with either MB staff or products. I did put myself down for one of the first batch but circumstances at the time made me turn it down when it arrived. I think i'll call them today and find out a bit more. Thanks again Pete
Monty
Main scooter: Series 1 Muggy, Imola Special

Its not mine so maybe I should not comment BUT I fitted one last week for a Friend
Ist problem I had was setting it up off the bike. the sheet said to connect it to a battery to change to MPH and set things like tire diameter. It seemed very flaky and I was pressing buttons and it did its own thing. we went on to fit the speedo in the headset, removed the Indian copy and found that the new one had no rubber. removed the old one from the Indian but it was a semi hard type and would not go anywhere near the hole.
I had a spare silicon type and that fitted better but the lip the seal fitted on was far deeper on the new speedo, (plastic is thicker) There seemed to be no way this was going to fit in and at best I could only get 3 corners in. The paperwork says all headsets are different and some trimming may be required. I trimmed the rubber, removed all the paint from the inside recess and in the end removed the rubber. It still would not fit through the front of the headset (Italian Special) and sat at an odd angle. The guys scoot had just been sprayed and he declined me using the dremmel on the headset but it looks like it will need some off the speedo as well.
Wiring is simple pickup down one side of the horn casting, HT pick up down the other, Ground to the control rod bolt and brown soldered to the feed from the regulator and into the bulb holder.
Scooter is running standard AC. Started the scooter and if revs are kept high I was able to set the settings all but the clock, that seems to be all over the place and even when we say forget that for now, it doesn't seem to change so I am not sure about the battery retaining settings.
I was keen to get this unit fitted as I was going to get one myself. I run full DC so thought I would have a better chance but was disappointed with the fit, I had 3 speedos of various prices and quality and all fit strait in and have the glass sitting evenly through the headset. Not the MB one.

I left my mate to make the call, and I am sure MB will sort him out as he does make good kit
Muttley McLadd

If it helps at all, I've got one of the Vapor ones on my bike. Obviously it doensn't fit in the headset. This makes the top a lot easier to get on and off, and gives more room in there for the wiring.
They're a piece of p1ss to set up. Nice back light. Rev counter. Doesn't use a cable. It even has one of those gay things for measuring temperatures, if you bike is two tone.
Can't go wrong, unless you're a shaved monkey.
CakeAndArseParty
bizzly
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

I must of been one of the lucky ones when it came to setting it up. I got one of the 2nd batch and set it up via the battery as stated on instuctions. Went for a test run and also strapped the Garmin Forerunner to the headset to compare the speed readings. Each speed matched between the two items. 30mph on the speedo and 30mph on the gps and so on, up to 65mph on both. Very happy with mine.......so far ;)
bizzly
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

bizzly wrote:I must of been one of the lucky ones when it came to setting it up. I got one of the 2nd batch and set it up via the battery as stated on instuctions. Went for a test run and also strapped the Garmin Forerunner to the headset to compare the speed readings. Each speed matched between the two items. 30mph on the speedo and 30mph on the gps and so on, up to 65mph on both. Very happy with mine.......so far ;)
Bugger......went out on mine the other night and the speedo reading jumped from mph to kph and was showing 185kph....lmao....then the rev counter jumped to trip reading....Im hoping that when I changed the front wheel, I have moved the distance settings from the magnet....Redo and try out then... :oops:
Chris CSPE
Dealer

I was told that it's being done as a digital speedo only for the future ones.
chris2470

I also had the random speedo readings on my display, bouncing all over the place when the rpm's went up, but I have now found a way to solve it.
I got some tinned copper earth braiding from RS Components, opened it up and simply threaded the entire length of the rev counter pick up wire down the inside of this. I left the braid a bit longer at one end so that I could connect it to the frame, both ends would probably be better if needed. Then wound the red pick up wire round the HT lead only a couple of time and fired her up.
So far no problems at all, totally smooth and still running the speedo in a standard AC regulated supply.
Best Regards

Chris
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information