clutch corks---the differences

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
sydduckett

I have been trying to find out some more information on the different corks that can be used in a 5 plate clutch. Thanks to prev posters for helping on this, you know who u are... ;) Specifically i would like to know the difference between the colours and whether the additional price of some of them is worthwhile.... :?

Im sure this info would help the non- techies (im including myself in this group... :D ) I currently have Surflex green ones in my rb and they havent lasted a year and im now getting slip in 3rd & 4th. Im also intrested in what mm each colour is. I think the green ones are 250 & the red 235. Iv also been told that diffrent corks require different types of engine oil?

I have some surflex greens that must have been used before by me and they measure between 2.49 and 2.51, would they be usable once they have been soaked?

So any info on the following corks with regard to handling power, longevity, price & so on. Please feel free to add any makes i may have missed.

Surflex Brown
Surflex green
Surflex Red
LTH Plus
LTH standard?

Ta
Sef
tha83
Main scooter: SX 2something

I just wanted to throw this into your mix, what about carbon plates? Are they a good idea and can they be sourced?
soulsurfer

Reading about carbon plates on MB Facebook, Mark pointed out that carbon plates are fine when warmed up, however our shopping bikes don't really warm them up enough to work at their best.
Turn On, Tune In, Cop out!
sydduckett

tha83 wrote:I just wanted to throw this into your mix, what about carbon plates? Are they a good idea and can they be sourced?
havent heard of these but happy to throw them in to the mix...
drunkmunkey6969
Main scooter: '69 Lambretta GP

sydduckett wrote:So any info on the following corks with regard to handling power, longevity, price & so on. Please feel free to add any makes i may have missed.

Surflex Brown
Surflex green
Surflex Red
LTH Plus
LTH standard?

Ta
Sef
I too am interested in this question.

I use the surflex greens, which are 2.5mm thick....i have 6 of these in my FOXHAT spider in the TS1 engine. They were OK for me on the track....but thats a limited test! lol. And i was able to get away with standrad GT springs for a nice soft feel.

As far as i know, Surflex brown are the standard corks...which are very grippy (good friction), but too thick to jam in 6 of them.

I've not had any 'red' plates from anywhere...so if anyone can say where they fit into the thickness vs friction equation.....i'd love to know.

And from reading the LTH blurb on their site...it seems (and correct me if im wrong) the the LTH 'standard' are just the LTH version of the Surflex Brown, but claim to have 30% more friction. And the 'plus' are made from a material that doesnt expand under heat....but again, these are 'standard' thickness, and so no good for 6 plate options.

I think that is right? But if anyone has more info, or can correct any of my ramblings, please do jump in...and any specific tech info on 'red plates' would be welcome.
See our YouTube scooter channel for Tech-help: https://www.youtube.com/c/TheScooterFactory/videos
fairspares
Main scooter: Lambretta GP RB252

i tried 5 plate carbon ones a couple of years back in a 25 bhp motor and couldnt get rid of clutch slip when reving hard , i tried a few different types of gearbox oils and three sets of plates with no luck, i have been using the alu / green 6 plates since and had no problems.
Fairspares Lambretta workshop.
sydduckett

I found these on LTH site and it states the make as surflex so im presuming they are not made for them specificaly. Cambridge lambretta quoted me £99 for six although im not sure if that was for the kit or not. Was also told that as there 2.35 there is more seperation thus aiding the cooling.
sydduckett

Forgot link http://www.lambretta-teile.de/Clutch-co ... -Lambretta :D
chez
Main scooter: li150 special

this may seem daft but in my 21.5bhp imola having used greens for almost a year when they started slipping i reverted to corks and dropped back to four plates have now used for over a year and (touch wood) still work fine so possibly an option on six plates to go 5 and on five plates to go 4 only change was mb springs
Supereibar

I must be the only one who use indian clutch corks with good results? Call me "el cheapo" but this is all I have to say: GO INDIAN!

J.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information