Lambretta End Plate Stud Failure?

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Gsvespa

Hello...

I have a question about the issue of the endplate studs failing when using a GP end plate on a tuned engine.

Are there stud/bolt kits available to fix this quickly...or is it advised to do the conversion to an LI end late and tap the holes for the ramp on the GP side?

I am new on Lambrettas so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Bill
wack 63
Main scooter: '71 GP TS1

Providing all the studs and especially the dowels are in top condition you should have no problems using the GP endplate.The LI ramp is probably better in that you can adjust when the kickstart piston engages with the teeth on 1st gear.
hydra
Dealer

The GP type endplate problems I have seen, have not been any issue with damage to the studs, but if the nuts become loose the Dowel holes become elongated and sometimes break a lump off the engine casting around the Dowel hole. In my opinion it is worth doing the conversion to the Li Kickstart Ramp, if not for the reason above, some remade Kickstarts are out on the splines and so do not engage with the 1st gear teeth until well down with the Kickstart action and can be adjusted with the Li type.
fairspares
Main scooter: Lambretta GP RB252

locktight the studs in place, then use m7 nyloc nuts ( 6 - 7 mm high) with the nylon side going on first , put onto the studs and a slight tap to start the thread, they should have a small round section on that end that fits nicely into the end plate , check the nuts where the chain runs and if needed grind down to give clearance , ive been doing it this way for years and never had an endplate come loose.
Fairspares Lambretta workshop.
J1MS

Like the idea of upside-down nylocks.!

if using spring washers on the endplate studs the spring washers should only be used once and then replaced if you want to get the best out of them.
paul213

Just use studs with stud lock on the threads then spring or wavey washers and nut lock on the nut . the stud lock has a higher break torque than nut lock and jobs done , I use 270 studlock and 243 medium strength on the nut .
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information