It started out as a simple task

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Bufficus

Managed to get in the garage today. First time this year having been laid up with man flu for a week. :roll:

I was going to fit a shiny new BGM 120W stator (thanks Martin).

On removing the faulty stator I immediately saw that it only needed a simple repair. But hey ho I wanted more powerful lights anyway.

Stator removed, but why is the bottom of the mag housing dripping with two stroke oil and why is there grease on the outside of the oilseal?

Blown oils seals. Twisted crank?

Maghousing removed, but what's this? A crack in the alloy, which looks like it could be letting in air. The last plug chop I did after a good thrash back from a rideout revealed a suspiciously lean mixture after having been a nice colour previously.

With the crank in situ I decided to check for play in the drive side bearing. Yes, that's f**ked as well.

The joys of tuned Lambrettas :) At least I caught it all before it let go on me. It's surprising how things can deteriorate in just a few hundred miles.

Full engine strip tomorrow and I better get that very expensive crank tested.
drunkmunkey6969
Main scooter: '69 Lambretta GP

pics with the strip down please!! :D
See our YouTube scooter channel for Tech-help: https://www.youtube.com/c/TheScooterFactory/videos
byron
Main scooter: Li Special; scarred,but sound

similar for me when all I was planning to do was check the head torque after 50 miles on new top end. noticed bit of play on flywheel, ended up replacing bearings, seals both sides. I had a look about whilst I the side casing was off, and changed the clutch and spider.
Still, at least you'll know it should be all good for a few more miles.
hope your crank is ok
Bufficus

drunkmunkey6969 wrote:pics with the strip down please!! :D
Full blow by blow account tomorrow. :)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information