Help Crankshaft problem

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
joneo
Xbox live gamer tag: redcabby

Hi all,

Rebuilding an LI150 engine with all new bearings & parts!
Fitted new GP FAG bearings, New MBD drive seal place & a new mec GP crank but when pulling the crank into position it starts to stiffen up. I'm using a crank Puller & stopping every so often to spin the crank but when I do it always feels a little tighter. When it's finally in place there's quite a bit of resistance when turning the crank.

Checked the bible and Sausage's dvd but none the wiser! What am I doing wrong or am I just being over paranoid?

Thank you all in advance

Jon
battlam
Main scooter: Lambretta gp

You're catching the lip of the seal with the crank. With the Mec cranks some of the ones havn't been shamford for this. common problem.

Anyone else had this??
joneo

Hi battlam,

Thanks for your reply, looks to be a chamfer there but wether it's enough I don't know. Does seem to be when the shoulder gets to the Rolf seal is when I'm having problems! Any ideas of a work round or is it worth trying another seal? Cheaper than trying another new crank!! But if it's the crank that's the problem.....

Regards

Jon
sean brady scooters
Dealer

did you assemble it with lots of oil /lubrication...as it can make all the difference when putting things in . :lol:
Sean Brady Scooters - 01765 690 698
joneo

Hi Sean,

Greased it up really well! Take it out & the bearing spins fine, put it bk and all spins fine untill it seems to get to the seal, then gets stiff to turn! No rubbing marks anywhere when I take it out. Starting to wind me up now! Oh the joys of scootering!

Jon
boothy

had the same problem, tv crank [mec] not enough taper [leading edge] to allow crank to ease through seal, ended up fitting retaining plate and seal onto crank then fit crank through bearing, fit screws holding retaining plate through holes in crank webs worked for me hope this helps
sean brady scooters
Dealer

new bearings,seals ,new crank can all seem a bit tight especially sometimes when just turning it around by hand,and without the flywheel ,but dont forget that these are all new components and its far better for these to be on the tight side rather than on the slack side...
and if you,ve stipped it again and can find no obvious signs of anything amiss (rubbing marks etc ) then i would suggest that you just build it up and proceed... :D
Sean Brady Scooters - 01765 690 698
joneo

Hi all,
Had it all apart again today, checked & double checked, no rubbing marks or any signs of the crank catching the seal lip.
Did a dry build of Rolf seal, MBD drive seal plate & mec crank & found that it went together ok but still felt slightly stiff, seal on crank, decided to roll with it, continue build & see how it goes.
Think I'm just being over catious, as Sean stated these are all new parts and will need bedding in anyway.

Fingers crossed anyway,

Jon

Ps Nice tip Boothy
joneo

Hi all,
Had it all apart again today, checked & double checked, no rubbing marks or any signs of the crank catching the seal lip.
Did a dry build of Rolf seal, MBD drive seal plate & mec crank & found that it went together ok but still felt slightly stiff, seal on crank, decided to roll with it, continue build & see how it goes.
Think I'm just being over catious, as Sean stated these are all new parts and will need bedding in anyway.

Fingers crossed anyway,

Jon

Ps Nice tip Boothy
shamrockexpress

I,m in the same boat and have that sinking feeling :?
MBD seal and MEC crank all lined up as it reached the shoulder got very tight but was all level and square as it eased in i had it well greased it was so tight i could hardly turn the crank!!! I then sprayed alot of wd40 and all of a sudden the last .5mm it seem to pop and turn really free!!!!!
So have i succeedeed or has the seal lip colapsed inside out!!!! I am using a partially sealed bearing so i cant see in :? :? I dont know wether to carry on but i,m not wanting to push the crank out to look or that will be another bearing f**ked.
CAN ANYONE FAMILIARISE THEMSELVES WITH THE FINAL SEATING OF THE CRANK IN SEAL DOES IT ALL OF A SUDDEN FIT ON SHOULDER AND RUN FREE AS EXPECTED????

The crank does turn easily and free with no resistance which seems too good to be true :? :?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information