What have I done (wrong) to my 24mm PWK?

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
coaster

I'd agree with Storkfoot, you have split parts that aren't meant to be split and you will never be certain it has sealed properly :?

If you do go for another PWK then concider trying a GJH needle, that's what I arrived at on mine which was in a 28/30 oko pwk but the symptomes were similar to yours. The GJH is leaner on the taper. For future reference, for selecting PWK needles I found this info useful in understanding the needle numbering:
First letter - Taper and affects 1/2 to 3/4 throttle
Second letter - Length and affects 1/4 to 1/2 throttle
Third letter - Diameter and affects up to 1/4 throttle.

The higher the letter the richer it gets.

Colin
dansuper
Main scooter: 1963 LI 185

Fixed... and broken.

Pulled it apart for one last shot. Tried to seat down the seal with a tiny bit of grease, which helped keep it in position. Held it in place carefully and screwed it tight. Noticed that that the central section seemed to be moving a round a tiny bit, so tightened the screws a bit more - pop! One of the screws has come through the other side - literally popped a tiny alloy 'cap' from the outside of the carb. :shock: I laugh to myself (rather than cry) and think, 'Oh well, I'll reassemble it anyway just to see what happens.'

The scooter starts second kick, idles well, revs cleanly everywhere. Take it for a spin and all seems well, but the plug shows very lean settings. Raise the needle one position and it's unhappy at 1/4 throttle.

This is the exact situation I had when I started!

Will probably try to methodically richen it and do some proper plug chops, but try to keep it rideable at 1/4. But I can't really trust the carb with the damage I've now done, so looks like some kind of replacement is in order. I need to contemplate whether I stick to what I (kind-of) know, or go to a Dellorto or Mikuni.

Cheers,

Dan
shocky

i think there very good carbs for the money and can be bought new from as little as £35 in the uk ive had alot of these khelin copys over the last 7-8 yrs from the 24 to the 34 , the 34 was a koso stage 6 one on a ts1 and was far Superior to the vhsa i replaced it with and cost me less than £70 and that included a massive selection of jets and needles the tmx 35 was priced at well over £230 at the time and spares were a MASSIVE rip off in my opinion also the tmx had mid range (low rev touring engines) problems with running lean due to the carb never being designed for sustained periods at the throttle setting ,altho these could be over come with hand ground needles all be it at a price
We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information