new 5/6 plate clutch for lambrettas

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
rocho68
Dealer

carlos fandango wrote:Well done lee :D, looks awesome. 8-) have you tried one in a scoot yet?

Are you going to the Olympics to tomorrow? see you there if you are.
hi russ ,hows the hand ? aint there tomorrow but the rest of the lads are , so have a good do and i will see you soon!!
carlos fandango

rocho68 wrote:
carlos fandango wrote:Well done lee :D, looks awesome. 8-) have you tried one in a scoot yet?

Are you going to the Olympics to tomorrow? see you there if you are.
hi russ ,hows the hand ? aint there tomorrow but the rest of the lads are , so have a good do and i will see you soon!!
Getting there, hoping to try to go for a ride on sunday, first time in 14 weeks :)
The evening session is on the 5th of march, at the Station Hotel Dudley . if you can make it? if you want any tickets let me know.
When i was young my Mom said "if you haven't got anything nice to say, say nothing at all " ..................... and people wonder why I'm quiet around them !
soulsurfer

mark wrote:in restricted form it puts out 14.9bhp and unrestricted 31-33bhp and thats with std plates so will cope with at lest 40 bhp if you consider aprillia would put in a safety factor of 20% min to stop warranty issues.
there are 6 plates in a std 125
But wouldn't the delivery of power and number of gears make a difference regarding suitability in another motor?
Turn On, Tune In, Cop out!
mark

i dont see how a piston ported old design can possibly put out a fiercer delivery of power to a powervalved engine because a power valve engine is in the powerband all the while. we will see mike
Chris CSPE
Dealer

Most of the new clutch's for higher powerd lambrettas are based on motorbike clutch's, these bike companys spend big money on designeing and testing these parts.They rev higher,for longer and in most cases with alot more hp. There's alot of engines out there that don't need 5,6 or 7 plate clutches and would work fine with a good set up 4 plate, but for those that do, wot would you rather use, the modern design of a bike clutch or try and uprate your old one.
soulsurfer

I go modern design every time in a tuned motor, the Lambretta clutch has too many factors that screw up it's reliability.

All I'm saying is that the figures don't necessarily transpose from the Aprillia to the Lambretta as they differ in delivering power and totally different ratios to deliver that power and may work fine in a 33bhp Aprillia, but that it's not given that it'll perform in a 33bhp Lambretta, although I would expect it to be fine in most circumstances.
rocho68
Dealer

soulsurfer wrote:I go modern design every time in a tuned motor, the Lambretta clutch has too many factors that screw up it's reliability.

All I'm saying is that the figures don't necessarily transpose from the Aprillia to the Lambretta as they differ in delivering power and totally different ratios to deliver that power and may work fine in a 33bhp Aprillia, but that it's not given that it'll perform in a 33bhp Lambretta, although I would expect it to be fine in most circumstances.
there is no way in my opinion a that a 33bhp lambretta will perform better than an aprillia as in the past ive built race bikes as part of a race team , mark and chris explained earlier about power delivery and design , the one thing that i need to add is that the 33bhp aprillia is a standard one , tuned aprillias put out over 40bhp with these plates and the plates in the photos are the heavy duty race plates that they use , so all in all if a lambretta clutch (50 year old design ) out performs a modern design then its time to pack it in as weve got no chance !!!
soulsurfer

But wouldn't torque also play a part?
Look, I'm not dissing your clutch, I like it, I'm just trying to say that that bhp isn't the only factor in clutch design, there are many other factors. Just because some parts come out of one 40bhp bike doesn't necessarily mean it'll perform the same in another 40bhp bike, or does it?
Chris CSPE
Dealer

Soulsurfer you said earlyer that Richard's version of the clutch is mainly for race scooters, now I'm quite sure that they make high hp and torque,i've got one of Richards, and I also have one of Lee's, they both work in the same way, but one is aimed at road scooters.they are both well made and do, yet you can't help but think that one is more in question then the other.AF,Richard Taylor,LTH,and many more are all going down the same path, that should reasure you. Lee's will be ran in a 30+ hp engine this Friday (and with hopefully a good amount of torque,) and on the dyno at Diablo on Saturday .
DJB
Dealer

I would say its more about the way the power is delivered, that puts stress on the clutch. Nice piece kit and a good price, hope it go's well.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information