reed valve recommendations?

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
minotaur

i have run in my racetour 220 with devtour exhaust and 30mm pwk with powerjet, i am pleased with the set up and it flies, but despite all jetting options i get spitback in the remote filter

i am thinking that reed valve is the way forward, can any one recommend one, the piston was not especially for a reedvalve etc. , is there a universal bolt on option, i was looking at the LTH option maybe?

any reedvalve experts out there?
Knowledge
Dealer
Main scooter: GP

Spit back is a feature of piston ported engines. Generally, the more they are tuned, the more they spit. If the scooter flies, what are you worried about?
wack 63
Main scooter: '71 GP TS1

Whilst not the best reed block out there the LTH will cure the spitback.It is best to have the extra port added and the manifold matched although it will still work but probably knock the speed.MB's are doing a new reed block ,give them a call.
Knowledge
Dealer
Main scooter: GP

wack 63 wrote:MB's are doing a new reed block ,give them a call.
To be honest, call MB anyway. Afterall, if you have invested many hundreds of pounds in MB kit already and you are still not happy, you need to speak to them about the existing engine, rather than ask us (or MB) about reed valves.

That's why I asked what was wrong with the existing set-up before making any recommendations.
minotaur

thanks , i have already dropped a message to MB, the problem i have is that when motor is warm it floods low down when i come off the throttle, it is because of fuel gathering in elbow, quite common i think.

the initial pick up is fine then a little flat between 1/8 & 1/4 then it goes great, but when i later slow down for a roundabout and whip the throttle half the time it'll flood

i have moved float , changed slides, jets , you name it but can't get rid, i know it's a fairly common problem, then when i clean out fuel in elbow all is ok again

was thinking the reed valve would sort this out
SpanishSX200

I have the RT 230, dev tour, and a PWK 28mm, with a cut and angled Marchald filter, no elbow. I had the same problem as you with standard ish jetting. My current set-up is 38 idle, and a 108 main. I still have to turn my fuel off 50 metres before I stop, to stop fuel/oil collecting in the air filter. Runs great at all throttle settings, plug colour perfect. I do have to to clean the filter out once every two weeks, I use it everyday, 500 miles a month. Living in Spain, so my main will be smaller that yours anyway. Hope that helps. Simon
minotaur

hi , i live in the south of france so the weather is not too different, do you run this filter with side panels???
SpanishSX200

I run with the panels on, hence the angled marcharld filter. There are about 10 of us here running TS1, RB and RT kits. Gernerally mains are 10-15% lower. I am sure it is due to the higher air pressure and drier atmosphere, I am sure someone will know the science. I think the PWK is very sensitive to main jets, I found it easy to jet once I got my head round such a small main. MB suggested 135 when I bought the kit. I have done 5,000 miles on this set up, and have ridden all across Spain, which is all at altitude, and it runs perfectly, even back down at sea level, where i live. My next project will use a reed valve system from MB on the RT, sometime later this year. I will let you know. Simon
shocky

MB have just had there reed casing delivered
We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm
minotaur

ok, who supplies the marchald filter, anyone got a photo of this set up, thanks for all this input as usual a lot to think about
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information