Kickstart slipping...Bristolmod.

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Ricko

Posted for help advice before, on LCGB not resolved, seem to have a similar problem to Chris (Bristolmod). In that the kickstart engages intermittenly, which looks like the scoot takes 15 kicks or more to start, when only three have engaged, eventually in starting her up!
Not the kickstart on the splines, slipping..and this has only occured since fitting a new clutch plates, stripped and checked again can't see owt amiss, can anyone help in solving the problem. What am I overlooking. Did Chris solve his?
Rick.
joespeed

you can feel the kickstart engauge,sound more like the clutch slipping ,have you soaked the plates first? have you had the front sprocket off?
regards
joe
sean brady scooters
Dealer

firstly ,.......i would disconnect clutch cable............and see if it then kicks over as it should..........if it does then its just a matter of cable adjustment....
if it still has the same prob with cable disconnected............the fault is internal............you then need to remove chain case cover and inspect.........
check.........the kickstart piston.......
and also make sure the kickstart shaft boss is not pressing on top plate of clutch..........
Sean Brady Scooters - 01765 690 698
bristolmod
Main scooter: Lambretta TV175 S3- what else!
Location: Bali-Hai bar, Locarno Ballroom Bristol, 1967!- mines a Brown Split!!

Hi

mines still intermittant but not as bad. There is absolutely NO slippage when the engines running so I think there must be a problem with the plates/ and or springs.

When Mrs Bristolmod decides I've got time :D , I'll strip it down and investigate properly.

In the meantime, if you get to the bottom of the problem, pleasew post your findings

best

Chris (.........coming dear)
Scootering since 1968.
Ricko

Thanks for the replies guys,
Joespeed. Yep you can feel the kickstart engage and underpressure as you press on the kickstart, then either it turns over or slips, as I have said. Plates were in oil soaking overnight before fitting and no the front sprocket was'nt taken off and is tight! :?

Sean, Have tried with the cable disconected from the arm, to no avail, the kickstart boss used to rub :o but Mr Grinder sorted that out ;) when I put the scoot together on its rebirth! Was in use three years :D untill clutch started to slip under load.

Chris, Sounds like we share the pain in more ways than one, :lol: the wife thinks shopping for clothes is more fun than spending hours in the cold trying to get this B##### fixed.........Shhh she may be within radar reach! :roll:
No clutch probems when running and the action is a lot smoother with the new cable set up. If/when I get it sorted, yes I'll post my findings for all to read mate. 8-)

So any takers, all answers welcomed, agree with Sean, I thought/think the problem is beneath the case, but what or where to check now...........pass! :(
Life with a Lammy eh,
Rick.
sean brady scooters
Dealer

is the washer/circlip fitted to kickstart shaft............?
this holds shaft in position and makes sure internal flange is up against casing
i still think you will find that clutch is slipping as kickstart is used.......because of pressure onto top plate............
this explains why.........that if you do manage to start it........clutch works fine and does not slip...............once kickstart has returned............

good luck,keep us posted.........
Sean Brady Scooters - 01765 690 698
J1MS

I agree with Sean and I think the fault is internal.... and an easy way to check is to put tippex on the top clutch pressure plate. If it comes into contact with the kick shaft, where it touches it should show up and should leave a white tippex mark on the kick shaft as well as removing scrappings of tippex from the clutch plate....

ps build it dry no oil just kick to see where it touches...
Ricko

Cheers chaps nice to get some support, if I spend much more time sorting this I may need some support of a differant fashion..........ooh eck!
Rick.
bristolmod
Main scooter: Lambretta TV175 S3- what else!
Location: Bali-Hai bar, Locarno Ballroom Bristol, 1967!- mines a Brown Split!!

FWIW I've adjusted the clutch cable back a tad further than I normally would (i.e. theres a bigger gap at the top lever before the clutch starts to disengage) and the problem hasn't reoccured.

I'd like to think that its purely a matter of precise adjustment...................... :lol:

We, and Mrs Bristolmod, will see

Chris
Scootering since 1968.
Ricko

Been and tried again, disconnected the clutch.....kickstart still slips. Drained oil, removed cover, checked everything obvious to me, still no joy. Wiped top plate and kickstart flange area, coated with tippex, cover held with few nuts, kick over several times, remove cover no scuffing? front spocket checked again, just incase, still at torque setting.
Got kickstart piston set on the ramp to obtain full swing, when after going through the pain barrier, of upteen slipped kicks, she starts and runs fine the clutch operation is as should be.
It's getting me rather annoyed chaps anyone offer a way forward, something else to try or I may have missed?
Beer is getting low in my garage stock, so help.
Rick. :shocking:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information