AIR FILTER re 24TM & 238cc

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
ScooterLoopyJohn
Dealer
Main scooter: 1970 GP 195cc A/F s'type

I have been trying out many air filter set ups and this is my final air filter set up after loads of testing this works best and will be used on the XL with its 238cc reed rapido top end. Spanish air filter toolbox as a base.
This show the original air feed is blocked off and a new one 40mm dia is added
The original Spanish filter plate is replaced with a new plate and pipe to suit the GP air hose, no filter is on the inside of the box , its simply for connection.
This shows that an extra large tank can also be fitted.
So you have a large plenium chamber after the filter which is in the toolbox. Small tools can still be carried in the tool box. But I use a legshield toolbox.
The air flow is such that I can now run a 210 main on my Mikuni TM 24 which is as per when run as an open carb.
Doom Patrol
Main scooter: Jet 200
Location: Second star on the right and straight on till morning

Interesting work John. What's the advantage of a plenium chamber like that?

On a slightly related note your TM24 carb, would that be the same as the 24mm BGM carb? I only ask because I'm going to need a hose to fit on one at some point. Will the standard 22mm hose do the trick?
ScooterLoopyJohn
Dealer
Main scooter: 1970 GP 195cc A/F s'type

Doom Patrol wrote:Interesting work John. What's the advantage of a plenium chamber like that?

On a slightly related note your TM24 carb, would that be the same as the 24mm BGM carb? I only ask because I'm going to need a hose to fit on one at some point. Will the standard 22mm hose do the trick?
Hose should fit i think, the chamber to be a true plenium would be at a slightly higher presure that the incomming air, clearly this is not the case with my set up but having such a large charge of all ready filtered air avaliable seems to make the fiter less of a restriction. i did run a simular system on my scooter x side car with a 30 mm phph and 230cc tsi so all is pos
Doom Patrol
Main scooter: Jet 200
Location: Second star on the right and straight on till morning

Oh; it looks like we've lost someone again. Not to worry....

I've come to think of this set up being an ideal solution for something I want to attempt in the future in actual fact. LI150 engine done as a 175 but with a larger tank and the air fed through a Spanish toolbox. Probably with a standard 20mm carb. But I do think your modification to the air box is worth investigating. It's never going to be a performance thing, but it's for a bit more staying power over a longer distance.
dirtyhandslopez

Yep , glad ma head is screwed on so that doesn't get lost :) I don't fancy your job Eden, and much appreciate the work you are doing to get things straight.

Anyways, have done nearly the same as you SLJ, but without the air filter part.Kept the standard air filter. I also just cut out the whole inlet part so it breaths better. For an air hose set up , what I did was take two bellows, a Serveta one and a GP one and mate them. The Serveta hose fits nicely inside the GP one. Then it is possible to go to 24mm carbs.

Would turning the whole toolbox into air bix make much of a difference SLJ?
Hope so, got a pile of Serveta tool boxes that I didn't know what I was going to do with them.

Excellent stuff SLJ.
That's not going anywhere...
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information