Wal Phillips injector

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
joey

...another option is to fit a cocktail stick in your carb...if you can't get one remove carb and stick petrol pipe down manifold.....works just the same as wal phillips.....enjoy..... :lol:
Hotspur
Main scooter: Lambretta LI175

Thanks for the responses everyone. Seems not much has changed in 40 years. I can't understand why a bit of scaffold tube with a hole in isn't better thean a caburetter ? I think I'll pass on the offer I got on Wedhesday night !!!!

Cheers Pete

Harry Redknapp for PM
red devil

Hotspur, Wal Phillips was a well known international speedway rider during the 1930's, his injectors were really designed for speedway, grasstrack or sprinting use were the motor would be used at full throttle most of the time. Of course during the 1960's their success was reported in many magazines including one used on a scooters ridden by Arthur Francis and Fred Willingham with much improvement over the standard carburettor. However the mark one version which I presume you have been offered requires a great deal of tinkering to run corectly, the fuel flow is subject to changes in the level you have in your tank and air pressure can upset things as well, added to this you really have to understand how to accurately set the adjustable link between the fuel valve and butterfly.
It is not an instument you can fit to an engine and forget about!
Having said all that Wal refined the injector in the late 1970's and came out with the mark two version called the Jetstream injector which I was offered by Wal himself when he heard that I was going to attempt the British speed records. This one does away with the adjustable linkage and relies instead on jets like a normal carb. I found it very easy to use and set up although you still had to make sure that you turned off the fuel before cutting the engine. Starting was never a problem and I never flooded the sprint engine once.
I also fitted the injector to a disc valve engine I built in 1982 and again it performed without a hitch.
When the sprinter was restored in 2006 Sticky came up for the photo shoot, I fitted a new battery threw half a gallon of methanol in the tank, checked the injector jet size, a quick push and she was away for the first time in 22 years!
So I have nothing but praise for the Phillips injector which was a great idea for it's time, but nowadays there are far more suitable carburettors available which will give you years of trouble free service for the same performance.
J1MS

^^^I think it's good to get such feed back, from someone who really knows there stuff.
8-)
Hotspur
Main scooter: Lambretta LI175

Many thanks Red Devil. A very informative, and interesting response. It's nice to hear a first hand experience.

Cheers Pete
red devil

Glad you enjoyed my reply Pete.
During the 80's I remember visiting Scunthorpe speedway to buy Methanol, many of the Weslake engined bikes were using the Jetstream injector at the time so it was obviously working for them.
I had the pleasure of knowing Wal who was a great rider,tuner and engineer. All of his work was probably done from his garden shed just like the best British inventors!!

Frank.
willwander

Great reply Frank, interesting read.
Whatever happened to speedway eh? I used to watch it on Grandstand when I was a kid (after the wrestling).
I suppose there is still a dedicated following. It was fun to wathc and there was some great engineering on those bikes.

I've been waiting years for a flat track revival in uk. I'm suprised it hasn't taken off again, what with the track day scene and super-moto's etc it would be a right laugh... also I could persue my dream of a TZ 750 flat tracker :)
standing mile: 118.6mph
1/4 mile: 14.04 seconds - 93mph
ROB

I run a Wal Phillips with an amal remote float on my S2.
finally, it runs and starts well...will do the long-distance track test to the elba rally next year ;-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzmyVaaIk3c
100mphlambrettaclub
Dealer

I used to run one on my first sprint bike which i also run on the road for a year or so. The MK 1 Wal Phillips fuel injector commonly known as the half moon type is a complete waste of time and my heart goes out to anyone trying to use one. The MK 2 was called the Jetspeed (think your memory is going Frank) and is the only one you can use. This used a remote jet so there was a bit more controlled. I used to screw Amal jets in as they fitted and as long as the plug colour worked away you went,non of that dyno rubbish back then . The key to using them was to treat the fuel tap as the float bowl. As soon as it was turned on fuel pours in the the engine. I used to turn the tap on for three seconds then turn it off. Then kick the bike over and as soon as it fired turn the tap on . As long as the engine was running the everything was fine. Thing to remember when you pulled up and turned the engine off to turn the fuel off aswell. As for performace it did greatly improve acceleration but fuel consumption was crap. As Frank said there are decent carburretors around now so the need is probably not there nowadays but 20 years ago it was great. Anyone wanting to use one know would be best having a back up plan like a modern carburretor but will probably have fun trying. Have a couple of pics somewhere will try and get them posted. Hope my mind of useless information has helped.
red devil

Ah Yes! The "Jetspeed " injector, thanks for that Stuart!!!
Nothing to do with the mind, my finger must have slipped on the keyboard!
Here's a picture of the disc valve motor as fitted to the bike in 1982, you can see the Wal Phillips sticking out of the mag housing. The jet screws into the body and the fuel pipe slides over it, all very neat and simple.
Willwander, I cannot believe anyone would want to ride a TZ750 on grass, it was such a beast. Kenny Roberts was one man who could master it though. My best motor had a reed valve from this bike, it was massive!
Hope you are well Stuart, thanks for the photos of the Supertune machine it looks really nice! Good luck with it.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information