adding a battery to ac sil ignition

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
camel

im sure this subject has been done umpteen times so accept my apologies,i tend to skip over the electrical threads as im totally mechanical and not electrical trained
i run std sil electronic ignition(i think corrado touched on this subject too)....i want to keep my lighting circuit ac,but also i want to charge a 12volt battery for gadgets(hid spotlight,sat nav)
so can this be done with a vespa regulator?..did some mention a bgm regulator?
i dont want to fully convert to dc as i probably wont keep the battery on the bike full time
many thanks
firekdp

camel wrote:i want to keep my lighting circuit ac,but also i want to charge a 12volt battery for gadgets(hid spotlight,sat nav)
so can this be done with a vespa regulator?
Yes, a vespa (G, G, B+, C, Earth) type will charge a battery.
rog60
Main scooter: Indian GP200

So, are the Ducati A,A,B+ Earth, Earth type AC/DC regulators no use for this, if so explains why I can't get a battery to charge. \is B+ terminal to battery positive :?: :?:
NO IT'S NOT A F***IN* MOPED!!!!!!
firekdp

rog60 wrote:So are the Ducati A,A,B+ Earth, Earth tupe no use for this, if so explains why I can't get a battery to charge. \isb+ terminal to battery positive :?: :?:
No, the A,A,B+,G,E reg is no use for a standard sil type stator. The B+ on this and the correct type are both designed to go to the battery positive, but do totally different functions, on the AAB+G it's an input, on the GGB+C it's an output.
wack 63
Main scooter: '71 GP TS1

I think you will find a Varitronic regulator will do you,it has a terminal to trickle charge a battery although how long a battery would last running spots I don't know.
rog60
Main scooter: Indian GP200

firekdp wrote:
rog60 wrote:So are the Ducati A,A,B+ Earth, Earth tupe no use for this, if so explains why I can't get a battery to charge. \isb+ terminal to battery positive :?: :?:
No, the A,A,B+,G,E reg is no use for a standard sil type stator. The B+ on this and the correct type are both designed to go to the battery positive, but do totally different functions, on the AAB+G it's an input, on the GGB+C it's an output.
Thanks for clarification :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
NO IT'S NOT A F***IN* MOPED!!!!!!
gerryjunior
Xbox live gamer tag: no
Playstation gamer tag: no
Main scooter: lambretta li 2

firekdp wrote:
camel wrote:i want to keep my lighting circuit ac,but also i want to charge a 12volt battery for gadgets(hid spotlight,sat nav)
so can this be done with a vespa regulator?
Yes, a vespa (G, G, B+, C, Earth) type will charge a battery.
If you use an sil ac stator with this type what wires go where..
firekdp

gerryjunior wrote:If you use an sil ac stator with this type what wires go where..
Connect as for standard AC reg, stator power to one of the G's, AC loom feeds to the other G, and obviously earth to a good earth. Extra to this connect the B+ to the battery positive and ideally connect the C terminal to the battery positive through a switch. This terminal allows the charge to vary according to the batteries needs, but requires the switch to isolate the battery when the machine is not in use, to stop it discharging. And don't forget to add a fuse.
AUSSIE

Sorry for being dim but can the C wire be explained a little more?
From the battery positive through a fuse to the switch then onto where?

Is it possible to list some regulators and how they are wired? ie 4 pin, 5 pin, auto/variatronic
thanks
timexit17
Main scooter: GP 225 Extra S type

This is an interesting thread as I bought a vespa type regulator to charge my battery on my indian AC Gp a couple of years ago and could never get it to work.
In the end I bought a scootRS small type half wave rectifier which works fine to a point.
However I don't think it's charging my 12v battery all that well (despite me doing silly mileages this year), so maybe a proper regulator set up would do this?
I've just got my battery off in anticipation of warmwell this weekend and it's only reading 9v or thereabouts depsite charging with the oximiser for 2 days!
My battery is a sealed MF type so can't be charged at full rate (I have an ancient 6/12 hi/lo charger -a Linwood electronic MP.8 for the larger batteries and full charges) afaik.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information