End can bracket leak?

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
sydduckett

Have one of the new style end can brackets for a Franspeed race and have oil leaking from what looks like the lowest stud of the 3 and possibly coming from the gasket seal in the same area.

Iv already snapped one stud trying to tighten them up... :( and had to take the whole chain case off, so have tightned them and the allen key bolts up as much as i dare. Im using brass washers that compress to try and get a good seal. When i had my prev NK pipe on that doesnt have an end can bracket the normal studs were fine, so i have to presume that the bracket is the problem? Might be that the allen key bolts arent tightening down eneough meaning that the casing doesnt seal tight in that area maybe?
Would gasket sealer work or is that only going to mask over the problem?

Any one have any ideas
Ta
sef
bazman
Playstation gamer tag: bazman70

You say that you're using brass washers to try and seal it, where do you have these situated ? My bracket fits flush to the chaincase and seals fine.
sydduckett

bazman wrote:You say that you're using brass washers to try and seal it, where do you have these situated ? My bracket fits flush to the chaincase and seals fine.
Bracket came with washers but i substituted them for brass, will try without.

Ta.
fairspares
Main scooter: Lambretta GP RB252

i use the franspeed/ jl , sounds to me like either the thread has gone in the casing and will need "helicoiling" or the bolts are to long and bottoming out in the casing or possibly not long enough, either way you need need to take casing off and check.
Fairspares Lambretta workshop.
eibargum
Main scooter: Vespa PX210 Polini

Not a good idea to use bolts in the caseing, steel going in and out of alloy is bad news, much better to use studs that are locktighted into the caseing then use nuts and spring washers.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information