Yamaha R1 rear shock

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Magalluf

Hi all

I have been thinking of treating myself to a Yamaha R1 rear shock. Firstly can any one tell me if there is any difference between the 4XV and 5JJ and obviously which one I need. Secondly does anyone here run the R1 shock and can recommend or disuade it.

Thanks

Steve (went to the beach this morning, Mallorca)
RICSPEED

not sure what the codes given mean .....
you will need one with the cylinder running in line with the main shock body (that is if on full body),
a 180 rated spring and the yam bushes pressed out and conversion bushes fitted (either nylon or brass)
dont tighten nut right up to bushes(if it cant move it may snap)
and use a nyloc half nut
Its in bits scooter club: www.facebook.com/groups/132415046859320
soulsurfer

IMO they're not designed to work with a Lambretta and therefore not suited. I know of three mates that had them and they all failed with snapped spindles. ALL Lambretta rear shocks have rubber bushes that are allowed to flex with the movement of the engine. The R1 shock is just one of those trick bits that's more looks over function, spend the extra on a BGM or Protech which is what I replaced my R1 with http://www.richpresley.co.uk/fully-adju ... -706-p.asp much better than R1 shocks IMO
Turn On, Tune In, Cop out!
goldeneye

got an R1 converted shock on the spesh, with nylon bushes, and 225 pound spring, on bottom setting for the spring. its the best shocker ive had on a lammy, bit pricey (due to the fact i bought the original R1 one for more than i should have) but the spring conversion shocky did me is bob on. twos up, c2c, highland scoot, loadsa miles, no probs. only thing i had to do, was bend the rear mudguard a bit to stop the spring rubbing. its had some hammer this year. i even pm"d shocky with an update of his conversion, to tell him it was sound.
ForemanBob
Main scooter: GP RT230

There are some models of the R1 shock where the gas chamber runs at 90deg to the spring, which means that they dont fit under your lammy panels. Keep an eye on ebay, and despite the costs of the bushes and springs, you can get a bargain quality rear shock.

It's easy to do the conversion yourself with the aid of a ratchet strap.
shocky

heres a pick of the type you need all for are different in some way but as long as they look like this you will be ok
We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm
bigstevey
Xbox live gamer tag: bruiesedconker

I love my R1 shock. I'm 20 stone so I run an origional R1 spring as well. Its that good I've just got another for my next project. :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
richie

Hi All,
I've watched this thread with interested and have some comments.
The problems with using an R1rear shock on a lambretta are that, firstly the shock is not designed to be subjected to any sideways loading on the bushes or the damper rod, which you do get on a Lambretta due to the rubber engine mounts. Secondly the shock will always be something of a comprimise due to the internal valving of the shock being developed around a rising rate linkage.

Each to their own and I'm sure the R1 shock can be a good cost effective replacement for the stock Lambretta shock, personally I'd like to see it fitted with some form of rubber bushing at either end and the shock shim stack revalved for the linear damping rate of the lambretta swingarm/engine and the fairly limited ammount of travel. Unfortunately this would make the shock less appealing price wise but would improve the shock for the lambretta, but would it be any better than a BGM or any of the other replacements out there? Don't be confused and assume that hard equals good, when setting up a motorcycle the trick is to get the spring rate as light as possible and allow the damping to do it's job, the spring is there to support the riders weight and get the required sag.

Cheers

Ian (Richie) Cunningham
fairspares
Main scooter: Lambretta GP RB252

i bought one of ebay about a year ago, it came with the bronze bushes and spring to suit lambretta ( approx 180 lbs) , waste of money , the spindle snapped at the top after a couple of weeks , the same thing has happened to a few others in our club. not only that they weigh a ton also. one snapped on a club member while he was flying along he was very lucky not to have got thrown off , ive known of other scooter shocks not lasting very long and the damper giving up but at least the spring keeps it in one piece , never heard of a purpose made lambreta shock snapping.
Fairspares Lambretta workshop.
shocky

fairspares wrote:i bought one of ebay about a year ago, it came with the bronze bushes and spring to suit lambretta ( approx 180 lbs) , waste of money , the spindle snapped at the top after a couple of weeks , the same thing has happened to a few others in our club. not only that they weigh a ton also. one snapped on a club member while he was flying along he was very lucky not to have got thrown off , ive known of other scooter shocks not lasting very long and the damper giving up but at least the spring keeps it in one piece , never heard of a purpose made lambreta shock snapping.
taffspeed ,readspead,bgm.............................. take your pick
We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information