Squeaky Top-end .

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Ian-B

I've just fitted a Rapido Classic to my GP200 . I also fitted a Broady top chain guide and a standard bottom guide along with a new IWIS chain , everything seemed to go back together fine . I took it for an M.O.T. and then out for a few miles to start the running in process , nice and easy .
It has now developed a squeak . I have taken the crankcase off to check that all is fine inside , it seems to be o.k. I took the top-end off and replaced the gaskets and checked everything , visually it all looks fine . The squeak can be heard quite loudly when kicking it over and then when it's running .
The lad I spoke to at Rayspeed suggested an air leak but I've checked and replaced the gaskets , the sound seems to be more of a metal to metal . When i poured 2-stroke down the plug-hole it was hardly audable and can hardly be heard when I take the plug out . Could it possibly be just a bedding-in noise that will go away as the barrel and piston wear slightly ? Although I've only done about 20-30 miles before it started to do this , it seemed to be quite responsive and I thought I had made a good move in buying the Rapido .
The scoot runs a 25mm Delly on a Broady manifold along with a KBA big-bore .
I've also had the flywheel off and the crank looks (to me) to be sound .
I'm running out of ideas , what do I check now , any ideas anyone , I've heard all the usual ones about looking for a mouse hiding in the engine .
RICSPEED

check cylinder head /gasket face for trueness
Its in bits scooter club: www.facebook.com/groups/132415046859320
Ian-B

RICSPEED wrote:check cylinder head /gasket face for trueness
Would this cause the type of noise I've described ? :?
Bilko
Main scooter: LI150

Hello Ian, hope your well mate.

This happened to me years ago. As Ricspeed says, check your head on some oiled wet and dry taped to a flat surface. That was how I fixed it.
Bilko's Oily Blog

Directionally dysfunctional since 1966
Ian-B

Bilko wrote:Hello Ian, hope your well mat

This happened to me years ago. As Ricspeed says, check your head on some oiled wet and dry taped to a flat surface. That was how I fixed it.
Hi Robbie , I'll give it a go , nothing ventured etc. etc. 8-)
RICSPEED

Ian-B wrote:
yes air escaping between head and barrel when turning over gives a very noticeable squeek ,cure as bilko says
Its in bits scooter club: www.facebook.com/groups/132415046859320
Ian-B

RICSPEED wrote:
Ian-B wrote:
yes air escaping between head and barrel when turning over gives a very noticeable squeek ,cure as bilko says
I'll be giving it a go as soon as I get the time , 12 hour night-shifts don't leave much spare time for scooters unfortunately . Thanks to both of you for the advice .

Ian.
dapper
Main scooter: The Biriani Bullet

I had an audible squeak from an engine and stripped the top end twice before I found it was panelwork making the noise :shock: :roll: Oh How I laughed :evil: Just to save you a waste of time, let her tick over and go round checking it ain't summat else first.
Compact Toolbox Flywheel Holder
Ian-B

Well I finally got the time to strip the head and barrel off , done as was suggested re. the wet and dry and it seems to have worked . Well pleased .
Just have to put some miles in now and run the barrel in . Thanks lads :)
Dazza
Main scooter: S3 LI Rapido 225

Don't forget to check/tighten head nuts after a few hundred miles , bit of a pain but they will almost certainly need a tweak
If it aint broke.........tinker with it.....
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information