big end tolerance

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
scootute

I opened up a friends SX 150 today for a rebuild. HAsn't been used for years and he is restoring it.
It looks like this is the first time it has been opened, and the speedo shows 9000KM.
The only damage I can see is some very bad 'smudging' where the spider hits the inner clutch cage. Apparently this scooter was used in a paddock by kids, so they were probably dropping the clutch trying to drop monos.

THE POINT
Apart from looking hardly used and unworn, the big end side-play is 2.25mm (sticky says max-1.5)
Any ideas as to how this would be so big?
He is hoping someone will say "oh that's fine.. mine was 3mm for years"

cheers
derek
derek
Melbourne Australia
Li186
www.australianscooterist.com
scootute

fair enuf
derek
Melbourne Australia
Li186
bristolmod
Main scooter: Lambretta TV175 S3- what else!
Location: Bali-Hai bar, Locarno Ballroom Bristol, 1967!- mines a Brown Split!!

I was looking for some measurements on small end shimmed cranks in the older Work Shop Manuals but couldn't find any specifics as to limits so have to accept Stickies figures as correctish.

Having said that I would be inclined to see how it ran (does it in fact run?)- if it does with no adverse "noises" then leave as is. After all 9000 KM isn't that much.

Chris
Scootering since 1968.
Stokie

The crank that I took out of my untouched Innocenti GP150 had a similar amount of big end float.
I understand this to be correct for my machine and your mates may well be correct for the SX.
If the bearing and rod are OK I'd be tempted to leave it as is - unless you're planning to fit some kind of performance kit.
scootute

there's a chance of a mild low-revving tune such as a casa186 but that's about it.
cheers for the replies

derek
derek
Melbourne Australia
Li186
RBG

You will find the piston would of been shimmed on the rod
So I think they would run with that.
Someone will come along with the answer. :)
RAP 200

Derek ,Darren here from Lambretta Club of South Australia , i have used these cranks on suzi 185 stage 5 motors before [gp150 type] same rod and end float,these cranks are stronger than you think ,just shim the small end up and away you go
scootute

f@@king brilliant.
This guy is hurting financially and I have already had to let him know he needs a new clutch spider.
cheers Darren.

derek
derek
Melbourne Australia
Li186
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information