Clutch movement

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
User avatar
leehuggy72
registered user
Posts: 188
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:08 pm
Location: GRIMSBY
Contact:

Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:20 pm

hi guys,

i've more or less finished building my engine and like any other person was checking what i've done chain set right, gearbox shimmed correctly etc etc

What has alarmed me was the play in the clutch unit itself.. theres quite a bit of play enough for me to worry anyway. is this normal? :? :?

User avatar
drunkmunkey6969
Moderator
Posts: 4263
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:42 pm
ebay user ID: sc00terotica
Main scooter: '69 Lambretta GP
Location: North Yorkshire
Contact:

Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:42 pm

leehuggy72 wrote:What has alarmed me was the play in the clutch unit itself.. theres quite a bit of play enough for me to worry anyway. is this normal? :? :?
what sort of play do you mean?

User avatar
byron
registered user
Posts: 1400
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:45 am
Main scooter: Li Special; scarred,but sound
Location: norwich
Contact:

Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:33 am

do you mean the crownwheel rocks on the gear cluster ?

shocky
registered user
Posts: 2707
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:33 pm
Location: cheltenham
Contact:

Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:23 am

leehuggy72 wrote:hi guys,

i've more or less finished building my engine and like any other person was checking what i've done chain set right, gearbox shimmed correctly etc etc

What has alarmed me was the play in the clutch unit itself.. theres quite a bit of play enough for me to worry anyway. is this normal? :? :?
from the engines ive worked on in the last 2-3 yrs id say yes its normal BUT not right, i suspect as has just been said its rocking which means the clutch spider is to long or the crown wheel is to short ,on a higher powered motor id say its critical to get it right a standard motor would be ok ish , but will wear the chain and sprockets leading to swarf in the oil which will lead to the drive side seal to leak a s**t job to fix
We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm

User avatar
leehuggy72
registered user
Posts: 188
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:08 pm
Location: GRIMSBY
Contact:

Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:42 pm

byron wrote:do you mean the crownwheel rocks on the gear cluster ?
Yes mate there's side to side play not a massive amount tho..

User avatar
drunkmunkey6969
Moderator
Posts: 4263
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:42 pm
ebay user ID: sc00terotica
Main scooter: '69 Lambretta GP
Location: North Yorkshire
Contact:

Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:51 pm

did you check the crown/spider clearance and also measure shim etc?

User avatar
leehuggy72
registered user
Posts: 188
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:08 pm
Location: GRIMSBY
Contact:

Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:41 pm

i've followed sticky's book to the letter, the clutch spider is solid with no side movement, its the crown wheel which has the sloppy play..

i'm seriously thinking of going back to after the gearbox as that is fine and redoing what i've done just to see if i've dropped a :oops: :oops:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests