powder coat

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Daggs

My latest project has a powder coated frame. Unfortunately whoever had it done didn't bother to knock out the dents in the frame loop. I don't want to remove the powder coat, so is it possible to fill out the dents (with isopon) and then spray paint over the loop?
paulski

Daggs wrote:My latest project has a powder coated frame. Unfortunately whoever had it done didn't bother to knock out the dents in the frame loop. I don't want to remove the powder coat, so is it possible to fill out the dents (with isopon) and then spray paint over the loop?
yeah ive had a few like that, depends how bad the dents are. just grind back to metal and planish out the dents if they are big,if they are minor dents then just sand back to key the surface and skim with filler/isopon, you can sandpaper and smooth the powder coat and paint over it no probs.
Daggs

cheers Paulski, that's what i wanted to hear.
adriang

paulski wrote:
Daggs wrote:My latest project has a powder coated frame. Unfortunately whoever had it done didn't bother to knock out the dents in the frame loop. I don't want to remove the powder coat, so is it possible to fill out the dents (with isopon) and then spray paint over the loop?
yeah ive had a few like that, depends how bad the dents are. just grind back to metal and planish out the dents if they are big,if they are minor dents then just sand back to key the surface and skim with filler/isopon, you can sandpaper and smooth the powder coat and paint over it no probs.
Pretty well standard approach to rebuilds down here, using the powder coat as a 'first coat primer', and filling/painting on top as needed.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information