NEW INDIAN 200cc ENGINES - experiences

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Soulpunk

just got a 200cc new indian sil engine.
plan: ride as is , 22mil jetex, careful drive in for 800 miles, check
chain play after 500 miles and change chain guide for a nylon one.

what are your experiences with new sil 200 engines ?
sion

striped 1 down today 3.5mill squish chain was well slack ports need tidying im going to change all bearings tidy up the ports put a tidy thin ring piston in and shim the gearbox and a bgm stator apart from that not to bad
shocky

cranks can be hit or miss i did two for people last year both had less than a 1000 miles on the clock squish was way out crap gaskets chain was shagged as well reshimed the gearbox and the rear sprocket and clutch spider were miles out and the sprocket was rocking i always buy a new case and a doner italian engine and buy the bits i need my last rapido 200 cost about £750 all in thats with the best bearings and a AF race crank
i have heared good things of this bloke http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LAMBRETTA-GP-200- ... 240%3A1318
if i was after an engine id go for this one he can also build to your spec for a very good price i dont know him but he did buy a head of my ebay auction today
We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm
byron
Main scooter: Li Special; scarred,but sound

fastcol [i]on LCGB boards[/i] wrote:With regards the SIL bearings,in the last 18/24 month,the new engines i strip to re-prepare have varied bearing manufacture. Some,as you say have SKF india bearings ,predominently they are fitted with NRB india/KOSO india bearings,In any batch of 20 SIL factory engines there is no hard and fast rule,Perhaps 2 out of the 20 will have the SKF india ones fitted magside and driveside,with koso/nrb in the endplate /rear hub, but they do not follow any particular patern,even with consecutive engine numbers,they still vary in manufacture,What i have noticed is that the NRB mag bearings now have the plastic/nylon roller cage fitted to the 2205 bearing,
which when it is spec checked,it states a similar high speed rating as the SKF/FAG bearing,whether manufactured in Germany,Yugoslavia or India.Unfortuatly i cannot take the manufactures spec on visual face value,and with the amount of easily obtained counterfeit bearings supplied to india,i still have to change them for english sourced SKF/FAG bearings just for piece of mind.I have also noticed a marked quality increase in the crankshart big end roller bearing,and whilst i dont put it up as capable of running TS/RAPIDO type output,i have a few test engines running standard,and moderate tunes on indian factory spec crankshafts without any problems as yet, so generally,the spec of these indian engines is improoving,but they still seem to keep forgetting to put tab washers on chain guides,or if they do fit them,fail to bend them,same with clutch tabs,missing clutch shim washers,mag seal plates,hailite washers,oil thrower washers,stator wire retaining clips,rubber "o" rings ,fitting nylock nuts on studs that are too short to reach the nylock insert in the nuts,barrel/piston intolenence, and barrel length varying the port timings,and their inability to shim a gearbox,possibly due to them not fitting a torqued up rear hub to the engine during assembly,or set the timing,but on the whole,they have definately got better.
I believe this is the guy on ebay that shocky linked to.

so probably worth opening it up and having a look about before riding it
shocky

yes thats the same guy
We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm
rog60
Main scooter: Indian GP200

Just for interest......

Bought my Indian GP200 (reg 125) from Resurrection Scooters Dec 2007. Engine was rebuilt with Mazuchelli crank, new main,rear and gear/clutch bearings.
Took over 1100 miles to completely run in and has now covered over 2500 miles
I recently stripped it down incl gearbox which was changed to one from an SX150 to give slightly better 4th gear.
I also changed the front /rear sprockets to 19/46 to give a taller gearing which I prefer and chain to 81 link, which just fits.
Carb changed to 26mm Jetex and now 22mm Delorto (Spaco)
So far everything has been as hoped, more comfortable ride, very reliable, no appreciable clutch wear but I DO change the gear oil at 600 mile intervals.

Only one thing though, engine seems to consume more gear oil than any Italian machine I've owned (have to keep topping up) and the rear hub and drive side oil seals are fine.
NO IT'S NOT A F***IN* MOPED!!!!!!
doggbhoy

wonder whats happening to your gear oil? :?
gabba gabba hey gabba we accept you one of us
shocky

its being burnt after leaking past the drive side oil seal
rog60
Main scooter: Indian GP200

No signs of any burnt deposits in crankcase/underneath or on crown of piston or in rear hub. Mixture at plug is medium brown on electrode and on central insulator. Spoke to mate who had made the same observation, perhaps clutch plates using/burning it??
NO IT'S NOT A F***IN* MOPED!!!!!!
Tosh

just got one of a friend,he`s going the auto route so tonight i checked the squish,now the solder was about 1.5m so i twisted it stuck it to the piston with grease,put it back together torqued it up 20lbs turned engine over took head off solder not touched ?????
the head gasket was 1.5 but i also noticed that the head behind the plug didn`t seem to have a squish ring ?is it me or what .it looked as though it up from the plug hole and didn`t have a flat bit behind .is this right or am i seeing things
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information